AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older soundblaster value card and want to connect the SPDIF out to my the coax digital input of my Outlaw 1050 receiver. Primarily, I want to listen to a music collection of .wav files I ripped from cds. One problem is that I need to run the cable about 20-22 feet from my PC to reach my receiver. Will this work, or will I have a problem with drops?

Where in the heck can I get an appropriate 75 ohm cable with the 1/8" minijack one end and an RCA male on the other? I have searched the net and can't seem to find anyone who makes this odd cable.

If this setup is not llikely to work, please suggest any alternatives. I would prefer to keep my PC where it is.

Thanks in advance for any help.

JR

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I was wondering if I could make one out of a roll of RG59 I have. I found some rca plugs that screw onto coax F connectors, and then I could use the adapter you mention - which is a rca female on one end and mono mini jack on the other I assume.

My concern is still the length of the cable run.

JR

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have a mini-plug to rca cable 6' joined to a 15' rca cable with an rca to rca coupler and no dropouts (some driver versions in XP have dropouts but thats another issue). 22' should be fine with a decent quality cable.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I decided not to use the old SB Live. I noticed today there was a $50 rebate on the Extigy so I went out and bought one. I ended up making the digital cable out of the RG59 coax. I even found a a gold miniplug adapter at Radio Shack that screws into the F connector I crimped on. Works great with no drops and was cheap to make. BTW, I'm pretty impressed with Extigy so far, given that it's the first Creative product I've used that worked right the first time without any tinkering.

JR

·
Registered
229 Posts
May I ask a question. I too have an SB Live! Value with SPDIF out, and I use one of those Radio Shack Rca F to Phono M adapter to connect to my AL speaker that have SPDIF in.

I just can't get any sound to my speaker at all. I've test the speaker with a standalone DVD player and it work, the DD ligh went from "orange" to "green". I've tried PowerDVD with Spdif enable and "digital out only" in SB setting and I have no sound. I try playing Divx w/ ac3 in zoomplayer and ac3 set to SPDIF and "digital only" and still no sound.

Any suggestion?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.