AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and such and couldnt really come up with anything so heres hoping someone can give me some good advice. I'm getting a 27 inch tv for my birthday and it needs to be under 350 bucks. I know thats not alot but its all i can really afford to spend. Anyways i havent really been able to find any reviews so i was wondering if y'll could help me with these tvs...

Toshiba 27 in 27AF44

Panasonic 27 in CT-27SL14

Magnavox 27" TV (27MS4504)

Philips 27" TV (27PT6442)

anyways, you get the drift. basically any set under 350 from places such as sears, best buy, walmart, circuit city. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Toshiba's analog 27"ers are great. Especially if you can find the non-flat screen model from a couple years ago...forgot the model number. You probably won't get vertical compression for better DVD viewing, but they still have component inputs and the PQ is really impressive for an inexpensive analog set.

Definitely give the Toshibas (of any variety) a serious look.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
While I've been out of the TV repair business for years, I've never like the Magnavox and Philips sets.

The Toshibas always seemed to have heat related failures, so from a service point or more so, a long term reliability point, I'd go Panasonic.

Curt

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The 3 Flat Tube sets that I would look at are JVC, Sony & Toshiba. The Panasonic set is a good set too but it doesn't have the 16:9 DVD Mode & JVC & Panasonic's are both made in the same factory in Mexico (At least that's what I've been told). The set I would probably go with is the JVC because it usually can be had for less than the Sony or Toshiba & I've seen the JVC model AV-27F475 for as low as $269 Toshiba $299 & Sony $349 Whatever you do Stay Away From The JVC & Panasonic "Discount Models" that are in Wal-Mart & Best Buy. They use cheaper parts from Korea compared to the Regular Line & the Regular Line can be had for the same price as the "Discount Line" if you fight with the stores so make sure you check the model numbers. If I had to choose I would go with the JVC model AV-27F475 because I like the looks of the set better than the other two & I prefer the JVC's picture a little better & it can be had for under $300. Happy Hunting & make sure you check the model numbers on JVC & Panasonic's. Myself I would stay away from the 27" Philips/Magnavox sets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.