AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 40UL605U LED HDTV from buy.com. Initial impression is very satisfied with the build and quality. The only problem I have is I can see what seems to be whitish spots near the corners of the screen. Is this common with LED HDTVs? Will this disappear over time because I do supposedly have a 45 day return guarantee from buy.com. Any advice or suggestions from anyone? I did turn off the dynamic contrast which helped some, but when turning on the PS3 it is pretty noticeable and makes the picture washed out. What should I do?...exchange it? The colors are fantastic, its almost like when the screen is black that there is some light coming through... Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Rumast18

·
Registered
58 Posts
Heh, I was just looking at this deal and I'm extremely tempted, but I can't find any reviews of this TV! I have a Toshiba 40XV645U upstairs that I'm really happy with, but I want to wall-mount a TV in the basement and a thin/light LED set would be perfect for that if the image quality is good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, I couldn't resist this deal (which gets even better with 5% Discover cashback) so I bit with minimal information. I'll try to post my impressions once I have the set.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumast18
Its a great deal and a great tv...I'm just wondering if I should be considering an exchange because I may have gotten a dud.
You didn't get a dud. Very common with led tv's. Especially edge lit led. You can live with it, or take advantage of the return policy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it did come with the wifi dongle, and i know its common but this is supposed to be a backlight led hdtv. I'm hoping that I got sent one that happens to be worse than others. I'm exchanging it at this point and hoping the next one I get will be less affected. I cannot accept having the picture noticeably affected 6" into the screen at practically all backlight levels. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess we all took advantage of this awesome deal from BUY.COM. Best Buy still wants $1100 for it whereas I paid $632 and will get 5% rebate.

I haven't received the TV yet (delivery 12/07) so can't tell you much other than that it is a common phenomena with edge lit led tvs.

I do have one question for those who have it installed. How is the Internet widgets thingy working? Are you able to stream your local media files over the wifi? I am wondering whether I should invest in a Roku or WDTV HD Live Plus player if the TV doesn't support local streaming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The internets widget was ok, but I don't have the greatest internet connection so I didn't really explore it yet. I am exchanging it with buy.com in the hope that the flashlighting effect will reduced from what it currently is. My eye just goes to effect every time during during dark scenes. It seems like other led toshiba's are getting good reviews, so I am hoping that mine is out of the ordinary. Especially when the packing slip said the tv was supposed to ship from CA and instead it came from Chicago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Rumast18, please let me know if your exchange with Buy.com gets you a better working TV!!! Same buy.com $600 deal, and the tv also has those whitish blurs/stops around the corners. The lower left-hand corner is the worse, I can see white blur even whe the TV is half-lit...

Anyone with this TV but DOES NOT have the white spots/blurs/blobs problem??

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by churwitz /forum/post/19599632

I'm looking at this tv too, and there isn't much info on it. Is it an edge-lit system?

This TV is edge lit. Toshiba's only backlit set (as far as I can tell) is the sv670. All the rest are edge lit (wx800, vx700, ul605, ux600).

I think that the edge-lit LED tech just isn't ready for primetime. I'm hoping their next set of sets (next spring?) include an updated backlit model. I like the Regza tech - hate the edge lit flashlighting (don't have it in person, but strongly considered this model or the ux600).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anybody else having problems getting this TV connected via Wifi? It finds my router, says the signal is strong, and times out during the setup process. I've tried putting in everything manually and with assisted setup without success. I know it's not a router issue because I have 4 other devices throughout the house all connecting just fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The exchange process was painless, currently the TV is being sent to the buy.com processing center in CA. It will probably be a week or two before I get a replacement. Starting to sound like the flashlighting is going to be a common problem. I just don't understand how reputable companies can build a product that compromises the quality of the screen. I'm all for LEDs in Tvs but obviously if it noticeably bad, why sell it? Thank goodness for capitalism and the ability to return items we don't like. If the next hdtv arrives with problems, it will be returned promptly. There are somethings I will compromise in life, but I have found out that picture quality isn't one of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
LOL!

Agreed, can I ask you for a favor tho? Could you please try to take a picture to elaborate how bad this is... If's it's negligible, I'm willing to bite it for the price, plus I won't be watching a ton of pitch black scenes in a pitch black room. Also, look up the UX600 calibration. Toshiba allows you to tweak like no other, so maybe a few more dials solves this?

Either case keep us posted! It's this or the Sony HX701 (240Hz, CCFL, but with a glossy screen and $120 more!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Received the tv yesterday and was able to set it up quickly. Can't believe how thin and light it is compared to my first generation Sharp LCD. WiFi set up went without a hitch as my router is set up in mixed mode 802.11g/n. I don't have the flashing problem so may be those of you who are experiencing that problem got a bad stock.

Now the issues:

1. Bummed out because there's no YouTube app in the widgets nor in Vudu's list.

2. Media player won't play my .AVI, .WMV or Panasonic camera's .MTS files

I am thinking of getting the WD Live HD or some other media device to be able to play my collection of avi file.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I got a bad one, only because while it was very obvious while on the black screen, I could also tell the the colors seemed to appear washed out while I was watching regular tv or playing the ps3. I cannot take a picture because I have exchanged it. Hopefully, I will get one with less of a problem through the exchange.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To all the folks who bought this TV:

How did you find the speaker performance? Mine sounded like a cellphone in speaker mode (or maybe like laptop speakers)

They sound horrible. Im wondering if everyone noticed this or did I get a defective TV? Any feedback would be appreciated. I have 2 other TVs in the house (Sony LED and Samsung LED) and they all sound fine.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts