AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barco D-701s, Sony 1272q, Sanyo Z1 LCD or NEC 6PG.

Considering each of the above three cost $1100, with only the Z1 being new,, and the fact that I have an HDTV receiver and HTPC, what would you recommend?

And lets assume please, that these are my ONLY three choices (which they are, unless anyone has something available right now). I have a tentative agreement to buy a Z1, but he hasn't verbally commited to selling to me. :(

I'm in the Los Angeles area.

I have no CRT experience, in fact my only projector experience is with an InFocus X1 DLP. But I'm not afraid to learn how to adjust them. I like that sort of thing. :)

I want to use a 16:9 98" screen since my viewing is 97% HDTV or widescreen DVD.

The Z1 LCD is native 16:9 1/4 HD resolution. It's also small and very quiet.

The Barco 701s has 4000 hours and supposedly in "excellent condition".

The 1272 has 6000 hours and supposedly "no burns" and is missing it's remote control.

The 6PG is about 5500 hours and very slight burn, according to the pictures. About a 6-7 according to the CRT scale.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wouldn't rush into anything myself. Check around, have a look at as many systems as you can and come to a conclusion about them. Nice thing about CRT's is they should last 10k hours total. The two machines you are looking at are moderately well used at 4k and 6k hours. You never know, though, could be the tube faces have less (or more) wear than the hour meter suggests. Only way to tell is to look at them. Of course, if you are like me, and don't have tons of experience, you might not know completely how to tell the difference. I learned a bit by just looking at photos of tube faces. I hear, however, that this isn't the best way to judge.

Btw, how did you like your X1? I almost bought one, but picked up an AmPro 2000G with really nice tubes for $650. I've been pretty happy with it ever since. It doesn't have super big tubes, but it does have some pretty nice electronics and can handle as high a resolution as the tubes are capable of resolving.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, I like my X1 alot. I'd never have considered selling it until I decided I wanted a larger 16:9 screen, and got annoyed at needing to do some serious masking to cover up for above and below screen light spill.

That led me to looking at a dedicated 16:9 PJ like the Z1, which somehow or other got me looking at CRT's, even though they are neither 4:3 or 16:9.

I'm kind of in a hurry to buy a different PJ, since I've already listed my X1 on eBay. Was all set on the Z1, and now....

Btw... since the X1 is my first PJ, I can't tell you it's the greatest thing out there because I don't have anything to compare it to. But at 380 hours in three months, it hasn't given me any problems and I WAS ready to keep it. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 1271 and am really happy with it. As already stated, the tubes should last over 10K hours, so that will save you a lot of money in LCD bulbs. However, you need to strongly consider how much time you want to invest in setting up your projector. In many people's opinion (including mine), you get a much nicer picture from a CRT, but they are exponentially more difficult to setup. Because of the size and weight they are a lot trickier to ceiling mount. Once you get that done, you will need to spend hours learning how to correctly focus and converge the projector. You can do a quick setup in a couple hours, but to really get the most out of the CRT, you need to do an astig adjustment and detailed convergence which generally takes more than 1 try to get it right. So, I personally prefer the CRT, but have steered friends towards LCD's because I know they don't have the time or knowledge to setup a CRT and I don't have time to help them :) Just something to consider.

- Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.