AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys get tired of helping newbs with things that seem trivial with you gurus, but I hope you will make another exception.

I posted in the HTIB Alternative forum, but thought maybe I should ask in the designated forums about each component. I was origanally goin to get a Onkyo 9100 HTIB, but after researching this site, many have said that it is better to get seperates for a little more money.

As far as budget, my goal is $1500, but can go as high as $2000. This budget will be for the whole system. I'm figuring $500 for each, speakers, sub, and reciever. May have to start out with just the front speakers and a sub and gradually move to 5.1 and then maybe 7.1.

My room is 15x16 with 8' ceiling. I have real oak hardwood floors with an area rug that is approx 7x12. Only one standard size door opening.

My listening will consist of 70% Bluray/DVD/HDTV, 20% music, and 10% SD television.

I have read, read, and read through this forum and now I am more confused than when I started this mission. So any info you want to provided would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if it matters, but I will consider any type of speaker, whether it be floor standing, bookshelf, or wall mount. Thank you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Everyone will preach their own equipment, because (for the most part) it's all great. So with that being said, I will be the first to tell you that within that exact budget, I was capable of getting not only a great system, but a 65" DLP too. Because of this, I am a die-hard fan of the Polk Monitor series, it's a top tier budget line.

My suggestion...

L/R: Polk Audio Monitor 70 ($350-475 online, check newegg)

C: Polk Audio CS2 (~$125)

Surrounds: Polk Audio M40 (~$150/pair)

The LCR are not only timber-matched, but all come equipped with 6.5" drivers as opposed to any other model in the lines' 5.25". I just recently upgraded to the 70s, and I am still blown away by the sheer quality and clarity. I highly recommend floorstanding not only for sheer power, but because they're awesome.

As for receivers, there are tons to choose from, it all comes down to what you want (5.1 vs 7.1, futureproof or not, number of HDMI's, etc.).. The advice I received when I began my purchasing was to stick with the quality brands (Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo). Just find what you need out of the receiver, pay more for quality, and buy within budget.

For sub, you'll have to find another. Mine is an apartment setup, and the 70s boom as much as I need them to, so I sat my sub until we're in a house.

Pic of my current setup (70s, CS1 center)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Esdeekay, I will check out the Polks. I really like the floor speakers!

I should mention that I already have a cheap Sony HTIB I bought from Walmart 5yrs ago for $300, so just about anything would sound better for sure. I just want to do this right the first time because I plan on using this system for atleast 5yrs or longer. Or should I say as right as my budget will allow me.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugburn76 /forum/post/18154568

I should mention that I already have a cheap Sony HTIB I bought from Walmart 5yrs ago for $300, so just about anything would sound better for sure.

This is the exact situation I was in, except I spent my money at CompUSA on a garbage LCD and a terrible sony HTIB. What I've grown into on a tight budget has been everything I imagined, and way more. Trust me when I say you wouldn't regret it, just make sure you buy the top end Monitor series and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts
A little more info would help. What will work for surrounds? Stands, wall mounting? In wall/in ceiling only?

With that said, here’s a suggestion for fronts that you can build around w/i your budget:

Infinity P162 ( http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/...rimus_p162.htm ). These really are an exceptional value that I happily own. Fairly smooth on and off-axis response and 90db efficiency for peanuts (especially from this authorized reseller: http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/InfinityPrimus.html ). Mates with either the PC250 or PC350 center depending on $ and size constraints).

Another option: SVS package ( http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm - links to Sound & Vision measurements and review).

You should definitely consider a sub from SVS, even if you don’t go with the whole system.

If you can stretch your budget up as you suggested and minimize the receiver cost, also consider a PSB system:

PSB Image ( http://blog.stereophile.com/stephenm...r_real_people/ )

As for receiver, you should be able to go under $500. Did you post in the receivers forum? Just make sure you buy a 7.1 receiver with enough HDMI inputs. If you go used, refurb’d, or closeout, you can get more for your money. You don’t have to buy a receiver that decodes Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio if your blu-ray player decodes them and the receiver accepts multichannel PCM. The other issue is room EQ. Audessey is popular right now. Some manufacturers like Pioneer, offer an in-house solution. Not much public data out there on the effectiveness of the competing solutions. Personally, I wouldn’t allow automatic room EQ to be a determinate factor in the receiver you buy right now, Find the features you need at the best price. Mass market A/V receivers are comparable. Spend the rest on speakers.

I recommended monitors above instead of towers. This is largely a personal preference. Don’t forget to include stands in your budget. I love these ( http://www.thesimpletvstandstore.com...tm_medium=feed ), but you can spend even less if you don’t need the weight and stability a hollow metal tube can provide. Towers cost more, but don’t require stands. There are sonic reasons to distinguish that cut both ways, but for most people, it comes down to what you prefer.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Polk is definately one of the best bang for the buck out their right now. It is one of the cheapest decent system that can be built....especially the way newegg has been selling them. Reading and research is only a part of the process, make sure you go out to listen to a few brands....from cheap to expensive...just to see if you can tell the difference between them.

Definately keep an eye at slickdeals, fatwallet, and dealsofamerica for on going sales on receiver. You might even go on refurbished and save even more. Just make sure you buy it from an authorized dealer whether buying new or refurbished.

Any of the subwoofer from eD, HSU, SVS, Epik would be a good way to go. Research more on the subwoofer forum. Having a good subwoofer really makes a difference in home theater.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like the look of the towers. But curious if there is any pros or cons between towers and monitors? Or is it just a matter of taste?

As for you needing more info, I'm not sure about the surrounds. My couch is located against the back wall, so dont really have alot of options I dont think. I have enough room to squeeze monitors with stands. But my best bet would probably be wall mounts for the surrounds.

Thanks for all the links and info. Ive got a bunch of reading to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
repaste from other thread:

im a brand new owner of some image t6's. this is my first experience with higher quality floor speakers but they came highly recommended from a friend and the local audio dealer (auth'd) had a pair at discount.

im now looking to get a new receiver and i was wondering if you guys had any input. im only going to be running a 2 speaker setup for the moment and im trying to figure out a nice receiver that will power them, produce a nice sound and not eat a whole in the wallet. i was hoping to keep it in the $400-500 range for now (with plans to upgrade at a later date). that might seem counter-intuitive but i figured i had an opportunity to grab some good speakers that will last for a decent price and a better receiver can come later if/when i expand

any hints would be appreciated

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugburn76 /forum/post/18156352

I really like the look of the towers. But curious if there is any pros or cons between towers and monitors? Or is it just a matter of taste?

Towers provide bass extension that you won't need with a subwoofer(s). Since low frequencies are most susceptible to room interaction and coloration, it can be bad to use towers to their full capability. Depends on the room. But in a typical room, the bass transducers often need to be in one location per room acoustics while the drivers covering the rest of the range should be placed to maximize stereo imaging. This isn't an issue if you crossover the towers and use a deciated sub.

Now, many believe there is still an advantage because more drivers = more capability and less frequency range sent to the towers = better sound quality. I don't believe this is absolute--at least when comparing typical consumer towers and monitors. Now, you want to compare super towers with many drivers in a line array, for example . . . that's different. I certainly agree towers look more imposing, so there's likely a psychosomatic effect as well. OTOH, larger speakers can produce a larger soundstage. You have a smallish room, comparable to mine, so I can confidently predict larger monitors like the P162s for example will "fill" your room.

Monitors can be advantageous because they are cheaper. That is, you might be able to afford monitors in a stepup product line in which you could not afford the corresponding towers. This is more likely to be the case the more expensive the speakers. Around your pricepoint, the costs of stands is going to narrow the gap. Another advantage is you can determine the height of the tweeter when you choose a stand. Depending on your seating, the tweeter in a tower might be too high or too low. I personally like monitors because my room is small, my wife thinks they look less instrusive than towers, and towers are too top heavy to have around my toddler.

Sure you want to consider all of this?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnalite /forum/post/18156435

im now looking to get a new receiver . . . any hints would be appreciated

Try the receiver thread (if you haven't already). What features do you want? That's the name of the mass market receiver game.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks that helps me narrow it down some. I will go with monitors and a really good sub. If I understand correctly, the monitors will give me that crystal clear mid-range and a good sub will give me that awesome bass? I really like bass, so I am considering that SVS PB12 sub you mentioned earlier.

Thanks soo much for your time and consideration and helping a beginner!

·
Registered
872 Posts
For music Polks were too bright for me. So bright that I had to change the tweeter to one that wasn't so bright.

·
Registered
62 Posts
With 20% of your use coming from music, it's a tough choice going Polk. I've heard in several places (As the above poster said) that Polk is too bright.

If you're not a true audiophile, you can appreciate music with the polk. I use my speakers for music far less than most, but I still find myself blasting when it's time to clean or work, and it sounds great nonetheless.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
I use my Polks (M40s currently, M70s to come) about 20% for music and I love their sound. Some people may be more susceptible to any brightness than others, but I've played a wide variety of music on my setup and not once did I wish I had different speakers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I think I have come to some sort of conclusion here. After careful consideration, and my lack of background in this hobby, I think I am just going to go with the SVS STS-01 Audiophile package.

My brain is going into overload reading post after post about diff speakers. I realize now that there is no clear winner when it comes to speakers, because it is subjective to the listener. And since I dont have a place to go and listen to what might be best for me, Im just goin with this package as it should be balanced to work together. I will never know the diff because I have never listened to a "good" system, so I should be ignorantly bliss.

Now, does anyone care to change my mind?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugburn76 /forum/post/18164050

Changed my mind again, I think.

Thinking of going with the PSB T55 or T65 mains, and a C60 center. How will these compare to the SVS STS-01?

Well, PSB is an excellent manufacturer, grounded in science not snake oil. They produce some of the flatest speakers you can buy, on and off axis. Consequently, their speakers are room friendly. They are more forthcoming than most other maufacturers about measurements because they really have nothing to hide.

Now, both towers you mentioned are 6 ohm speakers, so you'll need to be careful when selecting a receiver. Not all mass market AV receivers are going to handle that load.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Receiver - Onkyo 607/707

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Fronts Paradigm SE1 - $600

http://www.hometheatermag.com/compac...peaker_system/

Center Paradigm SE - $500 or another SE1 for $300

http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/...-1-89.paradigm

Sub - Any of the ID brands would be fine: ED, SVS, HSU or Epik.

- Obviously buy the nicest one you can afford.

I would break it down as:

Receiver - $350

Fronts: $600

Center: $300-500

Sub: $600

And buying from a Paradigm dealer you will almost certainly get a deal from them so you will most likely spend under $1K on the fronts and center. That setup would be amazing for the money

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.