Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

I was converging my projector again, and this time i wanted to get to the bottom of the mystery that is the convergence grid. I'm projecting a 65" wide 4x3 image, and the grid and the little square on the top right is fine. BUT - the image doesn't show the left frame at all - it is like it is framed on three sides, but one side doesn't have anything. Because of this, while playing movies, i get this annoying reddish line on the left edge.

This is what it looks like:

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Have you got the H shift of all three colors too far to one side? That would make the raster go off the phosphor...

Curt

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
On my 1031Q I dont get the right vertical Thick "frame" either. I have all centered perfectly.

I understand some of these Pj's dont show the edge for some reason or another.

I use THX Optimode to converge and fit screen any way.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So Vic doesn't get the whole grid - are we missing out on some of the picture? Is this worse than Pan and Scan? :D

How many other owners out there with a similar complaint?

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Not loosing ANY picture.

The internal grid grnerated by the projector is basically the RASTER area. In my insatllation the internal pattern over projects my screen and spills out on to the wall.

I am using a THX Optimode disc to do my convergence. And basically these test patterns fit my screen size correctly. This for one is because I am using a line doubler and running it through the RGB input. The internal patterns are really only good for composit video only. You will notice if you are running the projector with a doubler or a source through the RGB input(s) the HI SCAN LED will light up. If you then hit the test switch and check the internal patterns the HI SCAN LED goes off. So this really isnt that presice for setting convergences when your going to be viewing higher scan freaquancies any way.

I have seen this test pattern "spillage" on BARCO's too and other projectoro installations so I am comfortable saying that this is normal. As far as the test pattern not showing the edge marker I dont know why these projectors do this? I cant even say why I get the top bottom and left screen edge marker and you get all that except your gettin the oppisite sides then mine. ONLY thing I can think of and it just dawned on me is, if your projector is set for rear projection and all your images are reversed then your in the same boat as me and you just need to change the phase of the tubes to get it to project the video images correctly.

I am thinking that you see your video images correctly right? If you notice that the image seems "inside out" (phone numbers accross the screen are backward) then you need to change phase.

Other then that the simple way to see if your gettign the whole picture :) is to look kdirectly into the lenses and see if you see the correct aspect ratio right on the tubes. If it looks like the image is missing somthing it may not be centered correctly and your loosing somthing. See if the test patterns are also centered on each CRT.

Oh, and what format are you running as far as input? Composit or RGB?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now i am using composite, but i'll soon be getting up and running with the RGB input. Hopefully i won't be over-driving the scan rates... :(

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
If you use the RGB input you can go as far as 36Hz for scanning. LIne doubling only go as far as 32Hz so I would say thats all you can do on the 1031Q safely. Thats al you really need with these Pj's any way to get a great looking image.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vic, i have a 1030Q1, not a 1031Q, and that can only go up till 32 kHz. The b$#%# seller on HTF screwed me by saying its a 1031Q.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Okay- If bothering you, the framing can be fixed. At least on the 1041. :)

I would guess the 30/31 is similar, but I dont recall as it has been awhile since I played with one.

Look for "H HOLD RGB" and "H HOLD LINE" pots. These two pots are side by side on the convergance panel. While looking at the frame of the convergence grid turn the H HOLD LINE pot slightly one way or the other. To adjust the RGB you must input an RGB signal.

BTW- If you adjust this while watching an image you will see just how much of the image you really are missing. :)

Hope this helps-

Kieth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.