AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just purchased a Sony KDS-60A3000 TV to replace my Sony KDF-55E2000 model.

I hooked up the optical/toslink from the TV to my HTIB surround sound system (5.1) and turned on the TV to a digital channel (QAM signal through cable to watch the Baltimore-Steelers game on CBS-HD) but there was no sound coming through my surround sound speakers.

There was sound from my TV speakers but not through surround sound speakers.

This same setup worked fine with my KDF-55E2000.

I tested a different optical cable and no change. I also tried my xbox 360 through optical in the surround sound system and it worked.

I tried changing the settings on the TV to "audio out" (instead of "TV speakers") and nothing happened. I also fiddled with the "fixed/variable" controls that owners of this TV know about.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Also, I looked into the optical cable after it was plugged into the TV and there was an optical/red laser transmitting...I don't know if that helps or not.

THANKS

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If you've ruled out the main cable, the optical cable and the HTIB, it's probably in your TV. If you've tried every audio setting, might be a malfunction in the output.

Although I'd go through the manual and look for the specifics of the optical output before invoking the warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still thinking it is something wrong with my settings before coming to the conclusion of the TV and all the hassle of dealing with the warranty/replacement/repair.

I've posted in the owner's thread of my TV but maybe someone here can give advice as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
29,192 Posts
Is it possible the optical output on the Sony isn't even activated? Is there a selection to turn the output on and off?

Check page 39 of your manual. Set the audio output to FIXED. There is also a setting for using the TV speakers or Audio System. Set it for Audio System and see if that does the trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts