AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved and took my oval dish with me. I setup the dish to point to the sats and I have zero signal on sat A and B. Since I have installed my dish before at my other house, I am inclined to think it is either A: the multiswitch or B: the LNB's. I already tested the cables and they are fine. Anybody have any idea what it might be or that maybe my multiswitch somehow got ruined in the move?

Thanks for any and all help

·
Registered
76 Posts
are ur azimuth,degrees and tilt correct for ur new location?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are all correct (as much as I can see). I have 2 sat receivers and for the same zip code I get different (although not by much) numbers for tilt, elevation, and azimuth.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I know you think you've checked everything, alignment-wise....

But it's unlikely that equipment was damaged in a move.

Remember: it's very important that the mounting post/pole be ABSOLUTELY plumb vertical - not just close enough. Otherwise, you may get nothing, regardless of the tile and az settings. Just double and triple check the post.

Gerald C

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you know or can obtain you Lat. and Long. for your new location, use that input to obtain the tilt, elevation, and az. Zip codes can cover a large amount of geography and , yes, different STB's will give slightly different read outs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Zounds, it zounds like a problem I have had before....

I once wasted two hours plodding through all the difficult possibilities before discovering that if you do any wiring to a DSS receiver with it plugged into the wall, the receiver might just not give you a signal reading, even though it gets signal.

As for different receivers giving different elevations and azimuths, I am guessing you do not mean this, but the numbers are different for oval dishes and round dishes, so if one receiver thinks you mean round, and the other thinks you mean oval, the numbers will indeed be different. Although I once had a DirecPC receiver that wanted one little zip code to aim some ten degrees differently from the ten zip codes surrounding it...so the database is only human, too.

In this kind of case, I connect directly to LNB A and optimize the dish aiming for A before hooking up the multiswitch etc. That removes several possible sources of non-happening from the loop. Try that, and PLUG IN YOUR RECEIVER LAST!

Ernie

P.S. It's Ernie. Is the HomeThtrLA a bit pretentious? It's my aol address....

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I will try all of those one by one. J, what siteor procedure (without buying anything) is best for getting lat long #'s?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. As for the plumb vertical I have checked and rechecked with a level to make sure it is and still no signal. I will try the lat long as it did give me more precise numbers. thanks Argus for the sites. I might try to mount the dish on the wall of my house instead of an antenna mast into the ground. the only problem is that SW is the front of my house and the oval dishes are too large to twist around when on the side. Has anybody tried one of those signal meters? If so does it make finding a signal easier?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hook up a single cable directly (thru a window) from the lnb to the receiver and try to locate just one sat. If this works, then you know that you have a multiswitch or cable problem. Also, are there any trees in the direction of the sats. Sometimes even a small limb with leaves can block the signal. On elevation, the dish looks like it is pointing lower than where the actual sat is. The signal comes in at an angle. Check elevation manually, 90 degrees is straight up. Stand looking in the direction(azimuth) of the sat and hold your hand straight out. Then raise your hand to your elevation setting. Remember, 45 degrees is halfway between straight out and straight up. This may sound simple, but it makes it easy to see if a tree limb is in the way.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. I have just confirmed that it is my multiswitch by connecting a single wire to my receiver for sat A. With the multiswitch I get nothing.

I do have another question. The single cable that is getting the signal is which cable, the 13v or 18v cable? I have ordered a new multiswitch and since it is not on my dish (I am putting it inside this time) I forgot which one goes to what. If anybody has a definitive answer I would greatly appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.