AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to help my father with his new DirecTV install. He's located in Wilmington, NC. Install consisted of TripleLNB dish, new RG6 cables to 5 locations, and 5 Samsung SIR-S75 receivers. On both SatA and SatC he gets fantastic signal strength (94%-97% on most transponders and no lower than 85% on any that he should be receiving). However, as soon as you switch to SatB signal strength drops to 0% on all its transponders. This occurs on all 5 receivers. American Satellite sent out a new LNB but still no luck. They are sending another but I have a hard time believing its going to solve it when the 2 LNB's that I've tried both exhibit the same behavior.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
823 Posts
It suspect it's the multiswitch, which I assume is built into your dish. You could also have the dish misaimed, so that you're getting A and C on different LNBs than expected.

·
Super Moderator
19,077 Posts
Tell us exactly what you see on the following channels and include verbatim messages that appear at either the top or bottom of the screen:

Channel 100

Channel 400

Channel 99

This information will help us rule out misaiming as eelton suggested.

Also, we need to know exactly the type of dish you're using. Are the three LNBs fused into one brick at the end of the arm or do the 3 LNBs appear to be separate rectangular units fitted into slots in the arm?

Doc

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Misaiming is certainly a possibility. Here is the information requested:

Channel 100 - Looks like DirecTV pay-per-view previews

Channel 400 - "Searching for satellite signal"

Channel 99 - Big DirecTV logo & some music

As far as dish type goes its the Phase III dish (multiswitch built-in) with the LNB's fused together. I've actually tried two different powered multiswitches as well. The first was a JVI 4x8 and now its a Terk 5x8. Thanks for any assistance you guys might be able to provide!

·
Super Moderator
19,077 Posts
The Phase III dish has it's own built-in multiswitch, as you know. Any additional multiswitch downstream must be of the cascading type. Standard 5X8 switches won't work without tone injectors. Try completely bypassing the additional multiswitches, with lines to the receivers running directly to the Phase III dish, with nothing else in the line.

If, after doing that, you still don't see anything on 400, there's a good chance the mounting mast for the dish isn't plumb.

Oh, one more thing. What does it say at the top of the screen when tuning Channel 400?

Doc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.