AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wading through the various threads here that reference "Full DXVA (Hardware Accel) in Vista Media Center for 1080p MKV's" and ".mkv splitter and vista x64", etc.

What I'm left with is a lot of confusion.

Here's my PC's config:

Asus Rampage Formula

Intel X3350 @ 3450MHz

8GB DDR2

Evga GTX 280

Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Here's what I'd like it to do:

Play all formats, including .mkv's through VMC while utilizing hardware acceleration so I can offload most of the work to my GTX280.

I followed the directions in the ".mkv splitter and vista x64" and I'm having no problems playing .mkv's in VMC. Now, I'd like to be able to configure that set up to run with hardware acceleration.

Unfortunately, that setup relies on ffdshow which is unable to utilize DXVA, therefore I need to uninstall that solution and find one that utilizes DXVA.

The other thing that confuses me is THIS thread seems to mention a solution that may solve all of my problems, but it doesn't state whether it works for x64 systems and in addition, no one comments any further about it.

Clearly, I'm in need of some help, so if someone is in the giving mood, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!!

-Darryl

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhartigan /forum/post/15584363

I've been wading through the various threads here that reference "Full DXVA (Hardware Accel) in Vista Media Center for 1080p MKV's" and ".mkv splitter and vista x64", etc.

What I'm left with is a lot of confusion.

Here's my PC's config:

Asus Rampage Formula

Intel X3350 @ 3450MHz

8GB DDR2

Evga GTX 280

Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Here's what I'd like it to do:

Play all formats, including .mkv's through VMC while utilizing hardware acceleration so I can offload most of the work to my GTX280.

I followed the directions in the ".mkv splitter and vista x64" and I'm having no problems playing .mkv's in VMC. Now, I'd like to be able to configure that set up to run with hardware acceleration.

Unfortunately, that setup relies on ffdshow which is unable to utilize DXVA, therefore I need to uninstall that solution and find one that utilizes DXVA.

The other thing that confuses me is THIS thread seems to mention a solution that may solve all of my problems, but it doesn't state whether it works for x64 systems and in addition, no one comments any further about it.

Clearly, I'm in need of some help, so if someone is in the giving mood, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!!

-Darryl

I'd love to help because I just got my system to do full hardware acceleration on all of my mkv's, but mine is 32bit and that makes it difficult to help you directly.

I don't know why exactly there are so many different "methods" to playing MKV files, people have different requirements I suppose, but the most simplest, effective and cleanest way to get HA to work with WMC and WMP is:

1: Uninstall, clean and get rid of all codec packs, standalones and filters.

2: Install Haali Media Splitter (not available in 64bit)

3: Install AC3 Filter.

4: Register MPCVideoDec.ax.

5: Associate .mkv with WMP.

6: Enjoy!

Use MyMovies to integrate your mkv movie collection in to VMC.

Here's a link with a slightly different but also somewhat simple method for using standalone codecs from MPC-HC in 64-bit. See the second entry for HA. Make sure you associate .mkv files with WMP when finished.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!!

I think I'll try the steps detailed in that link you supplied. While your directions are great for achieving HA for VMC with .mkv files, I'd also like to have the HA for all other files. In addition, I like the notion of being able to use the x64 version of VMC, which the link you supplied provides direction for as well.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I followed the directions on the lower half of that link you provided and so far my .mkv's, .avi's (DivX and Xvid) and pretty much anything I sampled out of my media folder has played flawlessly.

There seems to be no issues at all. It appears that the highest load my CPU sees is 2%. Unfortunately, I didn't take a baseline reading of pre-DXVA CPU loads so I don't know if that's an improvement. Also, I tried seeing if there's any Hardware Acceleration occurring by checking RivaTuner's Hardware Monitoring (Hardware Acceleration sensor) and I saw no change.

Here's what the HA Sensor monitors:

"Direct3D8, Direct3D9, Direct3D10, and OpenGL"

It displays a 0 if there's no acceleration and a 1 if there is acceleration. I'm not saying that it's definitive. I'm just interested in finding a program that shows any activity on my Video Card.

Obviously, since everything seems to be working, there's really no problem. It's just the tinkerer in me that wants to see that it's actually funneling the processing load over to my GPU.

Ultimately, I'm very happy with achieving what I sought after and I have you to thank for that crkpot.

-Darryl

·
Registered
385 Posts
Glad to help, it's good to know by your post that it's just as easy to get HA working on 64bit. DXVA is going to keep old otherwise obsolete systems working beyond their time, I know mine is.

If you're getting even under 10% cpu load you're definitely getting full HA. My system would load up at 100% with 1080p mkv's before HA, now it's down below 20%. If you're real curious and have a little time to burn, you could just undo all the codecs you installed and try without. But according to Murphy's Law 2.0 you would probably never be able to get HA working as well as it does now if you did that.

Let me know if you find a good solution to monitoring GPU load, it would be interesting to know exactly how hard the video card has to work to decode video.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot /forum/post/15592262

I'd love to help because I just got my system to do full hardware acceleration on all of my mkv's, but mine is 32bit and that makes it difficult to help you directly.

Here's a link with a slightly different but also somewhat simple method for using standalone codecs from MPC-HC in 64-bit. See the second entry for HA. Make sure you associate .mkv files with WMP when finished.

I also tried the lower link you provided and everything worked fine for once, no stuttering. However, I'm having another, strange problem. I hear all the audio tracks. For instance, if a movie has 3 tracks (regular, director commentary and scientific commentary) I hear all 3 at once. How can I select just 1 in VMC? I don't even see an option for this anywhere

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah I think the problem is because the lower link has you register the matroska standalone, but it gives you no control over multiple audio streams. I tried uninstalling Haali and using the standalone matroska splitter and had the same problem. So I unregistered it and put Haali back on and it works fine again. Are you running 64bit?

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot /forum/post/15885073

Yeah I think the problem is because the lower link has you register the matroska standalone, but it gives you no control over multiple audio streams. I tried uninstalling Haali and using the standalone matroska splitter and had the same problem. So I unregistered it and put Haali back on and it works fine again. Are you running 64bit?

Yah 64 bit as well. I originally used matroska but couldn't play any higher bitrate files without stutter, even though my computer is total overkill. With the KMplayer everything is fine but I want to use VMC.

I tried the new 64 bit haali but it completely broke playback. I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this because I thought it was supposed to be the 64 bit users savior. Now that it's out - nothing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
 http://damienbt.free.fr/

Media Control plugin for VMC may help you in this situation, but I think you need ffdshow for it to work, so you may just have to try it out.

Don't you look forward to the day when all of this stuff is figured out and just works?

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot /forum/post/15885724

http://damienbt.free.fr/

Media Control plugin for VMC may help you in this situation, but I think you need ffdshow for it to work, so you may just have to try it out.

Don't you look forward to the day when all of this stuff is figured out and just works?

doesn't work since it's not using ffdshow (i think). I was using this plugin before but I had such bad stutter that I thought I'd tried the method linked above. It stopped the stutter but now having these sound issues.

I'm very close to just tossing the htpc. Everytime I get one thing fixed another thing breaks and sometimes there isn't anything I can do about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This works GREAT!!! but im having a problem with hd videos from microsoft

before i had Divx 7, and coreavc the microsoft hd videos was around 50% cpu with WMP 11

1080p mp4 wasnt even playable 100% cpu with WMP 11

i followed this guide and deleted all the codec

3: Install AC3 Filter.

4: Register MPCVideoDec.ax.

5: Associate .mkv with WMP.

6: Enjoy!

now the 1080p mp4 works GREAT! at 10% cpu load, but the microsoft hd videos are around 80-90% cpu load

my spec

p4 3ghz

2gb rams

2600 pro 512rams

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nho04 /forum/post/15886536

This works GREAT!!! but im having a problem with hd videos from microsoft

before i had Divx 7, and coreavc the microsoft hd videos was around 50% cpu with WMP 11

1080p mp4 wasnt even playable 100% cpu with WMP 11

i followed this guide and deleted all the codec

Haali 64 certainly does exist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts