AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search through the threads and did not find exactly the same thing as my situation.

Last night we set up our SS to record CSI. About 20 minutes into the show we starting watching from the beginning. After 10 minutes or so we could hear a low pitched whine, almost like a grinding sound. This is not like the regular high pitched whine that is all but inaudible, but lower and noticeable.

Now, the new noise ceased when the recording stopped (red light went off), but there was a split-second freeze on the picture. We finished the show without any further problems.

The box was no warmer to the touch than at any other time.

Is this normal, or should I be worried?

Thanks in advance for any help-

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Definitely not normal. The hard drives best days may be behind it. It may function normally for some time to come, no way of knowing. The good news is hard drives can easily be replaced by owners. New drives need to have the replay operating system mirrored onto them and can be done by anyone with an IBM compatible PC http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/index.html or purchased from people like me or from e-bay.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
JivBot, I tried to email you but email keeps getting rejected. Must be a problem with your email address. The answer is yes you can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.