AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a little help on what i think will be a simple project, just unsure of the design. I have enough room on riser behind the second row in my theater to built a short bar (Breakfast bar some call it). Basically looking to make a top 12" to 16" deep to hold a plate where you can sit down and eat or hold a few extra people for the big games. Maybe a lip on the top to tuck some rope light that would only reflect on the top, without creating any other disraction.

Any thoughts or links would be appreciated. I built the riser myself, but am unsure how to frame up this "sitting bar".

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,197 Posts
buffbaker:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=buffbaker

Check out his linked photo album for larger views of this:

There is also one in my build thread.

for construction you build a 2x4 (I would prefer 2x6) knee wall. Basically you frame up a short wall and secure tightly (screws) to the riser deck and framing . Then add two "wings" on the ends to stabilize the wall and support the top. Cover all the surfaces in choice of material. Some use drywall I suggest plywood on at least one surface of the wall portion to give it good lateral stiffness. Add molding and lighting. Depending on the length you may need mid span supports for the top.

Best practice would be to stuff it with insulation to avoid resonances.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I also did something similar... in progress. My plan is to put a simple granite counter on top.

More pics can be found by following the link in my sig.

·
Registered
435 Posts
When I saw "BuffBaker's" I was hooked! That would work out for extra seating and for folks that wanted to eat while watching. My room is only 15x17 and wonder if that is to small a room for that to even work.

Reactions: BuffBakerGA

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1906 /forum/post/14192290

When I saw "BuffBaker's" I was hooked! That would work out for extra seating and for folks that wanted to eat while watching. My room is only 15x17 and wonder if that is to small a room for that to even work.

It is perfect for the second row as it takes less room than a 7 ft riser for full size HT recliners.

It would be pretty hard to do 2 rows plus the bar.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It might work depending on how big your first row of seats are.... in any case, it would work better (and take up less space) than a second row of other seating types.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts