Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, I got one delivered yesterday.

1) First problem - cannot view in 1080i.

Using DVI, when I set it to use DVI 1080i, after about 5 sec, the screen starts to scroll fast - I see double images. Then, it may come back to normal if I wait. And it comes back. then it goes away.... arg...

I don't have to play a DVD to see this problem.

This doesn't occur with 720p or lower.

Now, ran out to Best Buy to get friggin' the most expensive Monster Comp. cable right before they close the store - picked up the most expensive one to rule out the cable quality problem.

Well, idential problem via component cable.

Samsung TS-160 via DVI and component cable works fine with 1080i.

Any idea?

2) Second problem - cannot see a thing on LoTR - Two Towers - WS version.

As it starts, screen is total black. Then, it stops at 3 sec.

It's not lock-up as the stop/next remote button works.

As I push next, next, next... it plays and stops. Push next chapter again, it plays and stops after a while.

While it's playing nothing on screen - just solid black, while I can hear the the sound from my receiver/athena pt5 speakers - audio out via optical.

Swapped the LoTR - TT with Bugs life, it plays fine. Switched to 'the Core', plays fine. Inserted couple of my DivX ISO CDs, plays fine if it's DivX 5. DivX3 doesn't work. Haven't tested DivX4 nor Xvid nor ogg.

SVCD worked fine as well as VCD.

Now, what's the deal with LoTR - TT - WS? I ran up to my bed room, played with $49 Cyberhome DVD (that tiny one with progressive scan), worked fine, excellent pq. Switched with my Toshiba portable DVD player, again played fine. Of course, it worked fine with my PC.

Not so sure about this but this LOTR - TT seems to have some unusual menu setup - starts from track menu then auto start to root menu and switching back to track menu. Maybe it's the firmware handling 'ifo' file?

Or maybe the DVD media id? I was very close to replace the loader with lite-on DVD in my pc, then I gave up since I need to fix the 1080i issue as well, and replacing the loader will void the support...

Called the tech. support line and no voice. Answering service. I was about to leave my ph# and boom! power loss due to Lizzy....

Oh well...

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
The type of problem with LoTR - TT you described I have encountered with a few of my DVD's. The problem is not the DVD, although some are more likely to set off the condition. The ONLY thing that has worked (most of the time) is to press the front panel Power Switch OFF, wait about 30 seconds and start over.

As far as the 1080i problem....It sounds like the display unit will not sync to the D1, yet you indicate you are Ok with the TS-160 as the source.???

I assume you have configured the D1 as they indicate in the owners manual.

John

·
Registered
266 Posts
coryk,

Welcome to the world of the D1. Some discs play great, a few don't play at all. Cannot comment on the resolution. I'm using wide768 for L300u. Looks great. Not sure about your pj.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jrannison
The type of problem with LoTR - TT you described I have encountered with a few of my DVD's. The problem is not the DVD, although some are more likely to set off the condition. The ONLY thing that has worked (most of the time) is to press the front panel Power Switch OFF, wait about 30 seconds and start over.

As far as the 1080i problem....It sounds like the display unit will not sync to the D1, yet you indicate you are Ok with the TS-160 as the source.???

I assume you have configured the D1 as they indicate in the owners manual.

John
For 1080i problem, it syncs up OK when I switch to 1080i from 720p. Then after couple of sec., it breaks up. If I just wait further, it syncs up OK again. Then, it goes back.... on and off on and of..

This is all while I'm still on the setup menu screen not playing DVD as I cannot use any other than 480p playing DVD via comp. cable.

And yes, it is configured as they indicate in the owners manual and again YES it works fine with TS-160 with its 1080i mode.

I thought about going into the custom setting to see if it makes it any better but I didn't bother doing it since it should work in its default setting as it states in the owner manual.

This happens for both DVI and Comp. cable which work fine with Samsung TS-160 using both DVI & comp. cable. DVI cable is the one came with Samsung TS-160 and the component cable is the most expensive one among the already overpriced monster cable from BB.

This 1080i problem prevents me from replacing the loader - when I bought this, I was willing to replace the loader if I have all the problems that others are having.

And I thought VINC test out all the resolution and the common problems like LoTR - T.T. issue before they send out. And I thought that was why the delivery was so delayed. I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I couldn't get LOTR, Apollo 13 or monsters inc. To play last night on my new projector. I am pretty sure it is the D1 player. I am pretty disappointed. I spent 2 hours trying to get it to work and then gave up. I think I am going to try to hook up my Denon 2900 and see how that looks. I will be sending the bravo D1 back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have to wait till my power comes back. Still have heavy hang-over from Lizzy.

I'll be geting Panny 50LC13 Monday (if they keep their words this time after 1 delay). I'll test it against Panny 50inch LCRP then, if it still shows the problem and if calling VINC doesn't solve the problem, this one is going back.

Too bad I liked the DivX feature a lot but DVD player has to play DVD first. All the extra features are still 'extra' feature. It's not the cost that made me buy this. The PQ/DivX/DVI were the main reason. Now, I'm looking for XP50 on Ebay and checking out Denon1600 on crutchfield, and looking around parts for PC based DivX player in case VINC cannot fix my problem. I hope I can avoid all the labor, calling VINC when I have power restored.

And I hope VINC understands it wasn't the cost of the Bravo D1 that lured me or maybe most of us. Once you have HD monitor/Plasma/LCD or DLP big screen or PJ, my guess is the most people will spend extra couple of hundreds to get the 'reliable' best PQ.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Power is back!!!

And 1080i works! I'm thinking maybe it needs reboot (power recycle) after switching between DVI & Comp? Out of desperation, I've also tried S-video, Composite as well when I was having problem.

After Izzy gone and power back, I've played one of my custom made DVD in 1080i mode via Comp. cable - yes this one w/o macrovision.

I'll try LoTR - TT again tomorrow.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Phansson,

Have you tried the 2900 yet?

I was watching LOTR:TT with my wife and because we have kids we had many interruptions. We started watching it on the D1 on my new Dwin TV3 PJ. This was the first movie we have watched on the d1 because the TV3 replaced a Mits RPTV that had no DVI. Anyway, the whole time we were watching on the D1, I kept thinking about the picture. I though it looked over sharped and EE'd, too flat. I just was not really pleased. After our 4th interruption, I switched to the 2900 over component cables for the last 45 minutes of the movie. IMO, I though it look a **** load better. Much more 3d. Clear, focused, no EE, much better detail. Does this mean it will be this way on all displays? I don't think so. I just think the scaler in my TV3 is superior to the one in the D1.

FREAK!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
metallicafreak,

Did you calibrate the PJ using AVIA (or equivalent) disc? It is VERY important that you calibrate with the D1.

Also, if you put the D1 on 480p, the system uses the scaler in the PJ. If the PJ has 720 native resolution and you set the D1 to output 720p, then the D1 scaler is used. If the PJ does not have 720 resolution and you set the D1 to output anything other than 480p, both the scalers (D1 and PJ) are used. This method is NOT recommended since scaling artifacts are introduced as a result of TWO scalers being used.

It is an IMPOSSIBILITY for a signal over Component to be superior to one over DVI especially when the display technology is DLP. Therefore, I suspect an improper calibration of the projector.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Yes, I agree with Manendra. There's been quite a few posts from TV3 owners who have stated the opposite. The D1 was far superior to analog component. In fact, I don't there's ever been a bad post reguarding PQ on a DLP.

Check out all the settings and calibrate.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The DVI input was calibrated w/avi.

component was not calibrated. I intend to take a more detailed look and take some screen shots soon.

FREAK!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK. After full power recycle, LoTR plays for a while.

Now, I think I'm pretty much at the same stage with most of others - great if it plays. Otherwise, power recycle and play again... - i.e. LoTR - TT.

I'm thinking about getting LiteOn 2001 - another DivX (version 3,4,5 and Xvid) player that can put out 480p, 720p, 1080i with comp. cable but no DVI. I'm not quite sure about PQ though. Anyone on PQ of LiteOn? LiteOn seems to be more generous on diff. types DVD media (using LiteOn 163 loader) and DivX format.

I wish I can fuse Bravo D1 & LiteOn 2001 into one box...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.