AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I've been milking my old Dwin HD500 CRT projector for years as I've updated the audio system around it. Now I am seeing the end is near...whites are constantly going out of focus and it needs repair or replacement. It's probably time to move into the 21st century with a new projector.

So what is the best model for around $5000 or less? I want the best value and the best picture I can get for the money. I have adjustable, custom dual screens which measure 115" when opened fully for 4:3 aspect ratio. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Cool looking theater.

Bad timing to ask, as Cedia is in a couple weeks.

Read this forum after Sept. 8, and then hold your breath for the real reviews.

·
Registered
JVC RS2000| Runco Q750| Hitachi 3500 LED| M-Vision 260HB|130in 2:35.1| MadVR| Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,326 Posts
You should invest in a Lumagen radiance and get a calibrating software when you decide to buy a projector if you want the best image

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know about CEDIA and I've been seeing some early peeks at new 3-D projectors. Panasonic has one (PT-AE7000U for $3500) and so does Optoma (HD8300 for $4,499). I can't belive how inexpensive these are in comparison to the old CRT projectors.

I was just curious about reviews / opinions regarding the better PJ's for image quality. It's probably best to lean towards 3-D...but I want to make sure the 2-D image is stellar. Then I'll obviously need to upgrade my surround processor as well for 3-D. Any opinions are welcome. I'm looking to buy during the winter. Thanks.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
Wait until cedia and then give AVS a call and we can tell you how good the new projectors looked.
There are several good ones out now, but cedia is so close I would wait. What do you like to watch and what is your room like?

Added

I looked at your link, nice theater.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 /forum/post/20836275

You should invest in a Lumagen radiance and get a calibrating software when you decide to buy a projector if you want the best image

Plus 1

·
Registered
469 Posts
The only thing that matters is price. Under $1,500 - a Mitsubishi HC400. Under $3,000 - the new Panasonic 7000. Under $10,000 - the next new JVC. Over $10,000 - the next new Runco.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts