AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question over at Anandtech and there really aren't that many TV techies over there as there are here.

As the title states I got a budget of $2000 (or a little more) for a new TV. This will replace a 37" Westinghouse LVM37W3 that I had used as my PC monitor and then moved it to my living room to use as a TV.

I been looking online for reviews and then checking out the TVs in the stores to see how I like them. I've come to the following conclusions:

A plasma won't work because the room is too bright. I fear that I am going to get too many reflections off the glass.

I hate the bezel on the Vizio 55" LED. Its this cheap looking silver plastic piece of garbage.

The stands on the Panasonic plasmas looks like a loose leaf binder. Plus I been reading reviews that the black levels have been getting messed up and Panasonic said no firmware/software fix is on the way.

What I do like are the Samsung LEDs. I think the styling and the PQ (from what I've seen in the store) is amazing. My only problem is do I go with the 46b8000 and get a BR player, a 46b8500 only or a 55b6000 only. My options are do I go size over PQ/features.

I've also been looking at the new 2010 models. Do I wait until these come out since there isn't any firm pricing yet? I read the reviews from CES on the 46C7000/8000 and they look pretty good with being 3D capable. I am also looking at the 52" Sony Bravia EX700 or the 46" NX800. I'd love to jump up to the 60" EX700 but I think my wife will flip out at the size. I really think 55" is the max that will look nice in the living room and on the console.

The TV will not be wall mounted. I also do not have to buy right now. I can hold off until April as my birthday is in March and I'll probably get some money to put towards it.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you play tv in even a remotely dark room, do not buy the samsung led/lcd. The clouding and flashlighting are terrible on the panels, and I returned 2 of them before deciding to go with plasma. If anyhting check out the lg led tv, the backlight bleeding is not as bad. However if you like the look of the samsung led, why not consider the pn860, which has the same style but is a plasma. Of course it has its own draw backs, which include some image retention.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, I am in the exact same boat as this guy. $2,000 budget. Looking for 50-55" and we have a big living room window so I am really afraid of glare problems. I'm not too obsessed with the technical terms of TV. But I was in Costco and the Samsung 55" Plasma was just too... dim looking. It looked like it had one of those eye protectors they used to put on computer monitors to dim the screen. Comparing it with the Sony Bravia 55" was like night and day. The Sony was so much more vibrant. It had some kind of automatic room lighting detection stuff. I don't know if that's actually worth something or if that's just one of their gimmicks that in reality mean nothing. The 55" Vizio wasn't bad looking, but I agree, the Bezel makes it look like it was put together in someone's garage.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really starting to dig the Sonys from the website. How that will translate to real world is yet to be seen. Since the EX is wifi capable how does that work. Is there a Sony propiariaty dongle that i have to buy or can I get any adapter?

Are there any other 2010 models that I should wait and check out?

·
Registered
298 Posts
This link was posted by someone in the Samsung 2010 thread, but looks to be the first review for the new Samsungs. I'm also in the same boat with the same budget (maybe a little bit more), and that article convinced me to wait for the new models, or at least some more solid reviews.

It has to be translated through google, but is very easy to understand:
http://translate.google.de/translate...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Check for SonyStyle stores in your region and call to see if they have any yet to audition. I'm surprised at the affordability of some of the new Sony large panels.

Please let your wife flip at the size after all virtually all RPTV's were 60" &> and they were fat ass TV's - these are thin and lightweight and look quite good and you can have both PQ WoW and Size - the Size is going to provide the immersive WoW not the PQ on it's own - I don't care how good you make a small panel look it simply is not going to immerse you in the experience. Check AVS Sponsor Cleveland Plasma for latest pricing on some of the new Sony panels - much lower than anticipated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/18154281

Check for SonyStyle stores in your region and call to see if they have any yet to audition. I'm surprised at the affordability of some of the new Sony large panels.

Please let your wife flip at the size after all virtually all RPTV's were 60" &> and they were fat ass TV's - these are thin and lightweight and look quite good and you can have both PQ WoW and Size - the Size is going to provide the immersive WoW not the PQ on it's own - I don't care how good you make a small panel look it simply is not going to immerse you in the experience. Check AVS Sponsor Cleveland Plasma for latest pricing on some of the new Sony panels - much lower than anticipated.

I was surprised too at some of the pricing that I saw on those Sony models. I don't think I'm going to be able to go with the 60" as much as I'd love to.

Now the big question is down to the new Samsung LED 46C7000/8000 or the 52" Sony EX700 or the 46" Sony NX800. I guess I really have to look at them in the store to get a feel for the styling and I'd also want to wait for the reviews to come in as well.

Thoughts/Comments?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I own Sony XBR9 46" and like it a lot. I disliked Samsung TVs b/c shiny screens and I found colors on LED TVs unnatural (maybe this can be modified by adjusting colors but it really didn't matter since reflections would drive me nuts anyway)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am waiting until April or May to buy because that's when I should have the necessary fundage. Sounds like it's coming at a great time as the 2010 models should be out by then. I don't think I could go down to 46", just not immersive enough. For me, the difference between a watching TV and visual experience occurs somewhere between 50" and 55". I think I'm going to go with Sony unless I am really blown away by something else in the next 2 months.

Does anyone know if it's potential damaging to ship a TV from an online vendor or should I just buy it locally?

http://www.macmall.com/p/6075803?dpn...ource=zwb12166

It could very well save several hundred dollars, but it just seems like a good way to get your TV broken before you even get it.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I would pick the LG LH90 if I was buying an LCD in that price range. I would definitely not buy a Samsung 6000/7000/8000. BTW, many LCDs these days have extremely glossy screens that are more reflective than most plasma screens. If you're worried about glare, then make sure you buy something with a matte screen. The Samsung LCDs that you mentioned all have glossy, reflective screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimoeish /forum/post/18149756

But I was in Costco and the Samsung 55" Plasma was just too... dim looking. It looked like it had one of those eye protectors they used to put on computer monitors to dim the screen. Comparing it with the Sony Bravia 55" was like night and day. The Sony was so much more vibrant.

FWIW, I can't imagine that anyone would actually watch a TV with the settings that are being used in the store. The LCDs are setup to be extremely bright and standout in a bright showroom. My LCD's backlight is set to a fraction of what it was in the store and would look dim compared to LCDs running in torch mode. Likewise, the terrible black level of many LCDs isn't very evident in a showroom, but you'll certainly notice it in your house. Anyhow, it is very difficult to compare TVs in the store. I was at Best Buy recently, and the Panasonic plasmas on display looked very unimpressive in that setting, but they are actually nice TVs (which is why they receive such positive reviews, as do Samsung plasmas).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish there was a way to take the TVs home with you to see how they react to the environment. Most stores have a restocking fee if returned except for Costco but then again I really don't want to go through that whole process.

I saw the LG on cnet and it looked pretty nice. I have yet to see one in person and was wonderng what the general concensus of it was.

I'm really starting to lean towards the 52" Sony. I think features, price and size fit right into my budget. I just need to see it in person first.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoholik /forum/post/18149532

I posted this question over at Anandtech and there really aren't that many TV techies over there as there are here.

As the title states I got a budget of $2000 (or a little more) for a new TV. [snip]

I've also been looking at the new 2010 models. Do I wait until these come out since there isn't any firm pricing yet? I read the reviews from CES on the 46C7000/8000 and they look pretty good with being 3D capable. I am also looking at the 52" Sony Bravia EX700 or the 46" NX800. I'd love to jump up to the 60" EX700 but I think my wife will flip out at the size. I really think 55" is the max that will look nice in the living room and on the console.

The TV will not be wall mounted. I also do not have to buy right now. I can hold off until April as my birthday is in March and I'll probably get some money to put towards it.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

A nice compromise in size would be to do what I just did and pick up the 52XBR9 as they're on clearance just about everywhere right now and they're outstanding TVs, IMHO. I picked mine up for $2099 at BB (last one in the store and none in the local warehouses) last night, a steal I thought.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksonknight /forum/post/18159536

A nice compromise in size would be to do what I just did and pick up the 52XBR9 as they're on clearance just about everywhere right now and they're outstanding TVs, IMHO. I picked mine up for $2099 at BB (last one in the store and none in the local warehouses) last night, a steal I thought.

I don't want to talk price but let's just say the Sony 52EX700 can be found for less then the price of the XBR9 you just posted.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoholik /forum/post/18159824

I don't want to talk price but let's just say the Sony 52EX700 can be found for less then the price of the XBR9 you just posted.

Indeed it is, but it is a lower end, edge-lit model.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.