AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to do some EQing on my system. I do like the TACT but cost much more. Presently audio signal goes from CD transport->D/A->Preamp(unbalanced)->Power amp(unbalanced). I think I have 3 ways to insert the DEQ 24/96. (B=balanced UB=unbalanced)

1) D/A (UB)->Preamp O/P(UB)->DEQ(B) I/P& O/P->Power Amp(UB)

2) D/A (B) O/P-> DEQ(B) I/P&O/P ->preamp(UB) -> Power amp (UB)

3) CD transport (S/PDIF)->DEQ(digital1)-(B) O/P->Preamp (UB)->Poweramp (UB).

My other components cost much more than the DEQ, I am afraid inserting it between the preamp and poweramp will degrade my system performance. Please advise which way is better. or any other options.

Any help appreciated.

L. N. Chu

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Chu: While almost any processor you insert into your system will degrade the sound somewhat, in terms of CD playback, it really makes no difference where in the chain you insert it. If you want to use other sources without the DEQ, then your current setup is the way to go. If you want to apply EQ to all of your source components, then install it between the amp & preamp. If your preamp has a tape loop, that's a good place to put it, since you can easily switch it in and out of the signal path.

Honestly, if you have really high-end gear that was selected to mate well with your room and other components, you should not need any EQ. While the DEQ is a good, economical solution for some situations, most people here at AVS would only use it for smoothing out bass frequencies, running it with a separate subwoofer. In the lowest two or three octaves, the degredation of the sound is usually less noticeable than the effects of a digital conversion cycle further up the audio band. There are also phase issues that can be introduced with an EQ, even a digital one. That's why the TACT costs so much - it is designed for audiophile gear so that it will not degrade the sound or mess up phase coherence. While the Behringer is a great value, it can't compare with the TACT.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bondmanp for the advise. I recently read on AudioXpress an article about auto room correcton. It mentioned machines like TACT, DEQX and the DEQ. I just want to have a try. WIthout any change on my present setup I will use my opton (2) , and select via the preamp.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
A digital signal into the DEQ is the best if your CD transport is the only source component. That will avoid an extra A/D/A step and you will get full digital resolution into the DEQ at all volume settings. If you have an external DAC, you can use it after the DEQ. Otherwise, the DACs in the DEQ are pretty good, maybe better than some external DACs. So:

Transport - SPDIF - DEQ - SPDIF - External D/A - analog - preamp

or

Transport - SPDIF - DEQ - analog - preamp

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will need two Digital AES/EBU to RCA S/PDIF cables. Is it the same as XLR-RCA cable connecting pins 1 & 3 together (-)and pin 2(+) to center pin of RCA plug (-) to shieding. The AES/EBU cable is 110 ohm but the RCA side is using 75 ohm cable. Will it work? Or should I just use two Toslink cables instead.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
AES/EBU is a different standard than S/PDIF. I use toslink

You could actually use the DEQ as digital or analog. Cd transport via S/PDIF to DEQ to DAC (if good quality DAC) to Pre is best with all eq in the digital domain. Connect Pre outs to DEQ analog ins, DEQ analog outs to amp. Switch the DEQ to Digital in and analog bypass when the cd transport is the source. You can set multiple configurations in memory and do a recall for the source. I have two of the DEQs configured for transport and HT sources.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
The DEQ will accept a SPDIF signal through the XLR connector but a simple RCA-XLR cable won't work very well because of the impedance mismatch and the radio frequencies involved. If you don't have a toslink out from your transport, you will need an adapter, with an impedance matching transformer inside, like one of these.

http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?obje...5E76E3D1E1CA3D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got my DEQ, connected using Toslink in/out. Try the AEQ and found pink noise can only output on the balanced analog line. So I still need a pair of interconnects to my preamp for AEQ purpose only? Save the PEQ setting and use it on the digital in/out, am I right ?

·
Premium Member
25,540 Posts
"Honestly, if you have really high-end gear that was selected to mate well with your room and other components, you should not need any EQ."

High end gear won't do a thing to correct the freq response problems in any room not built from the ground up for sound reproduction.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chu Leung Ning
I just want to do some EQing on my system. I do like the TACT but cost much more. Presently audio signal goes from CD transport->D/A->Preamp(unbalanced)->Power amp(unbalanced). I think I have 3 ways to insert the DEQ 24/96. (B=balanced UB=unbalanced)

1) D/A (UB)->Preamp O/P(UB)->DEQ(B) I/P& O/P->Power Amp(UB)

2) D/A (B) O/P-> DEQ(B) I/P&O/P ->preamp(UB) -> Power amp (UB)

3) CD transport (S/PDIF)->DEQ(digital1)-(B) O/P->Preamp (UB)->Poweramp (UB).

My other components cost much more than the DEQ, I am afraid inserting it between the preamp and poweramp will degrade my system performance. Please advise which way is better. or any other options.

Any help appreciated.

L. N. Chu
For the best sound quality do the following:

0) Feed all stereo sources directly to the DEQ 2496 and in the digital domain if possible. Analog sources can be converted.

1) Leave 2-3 inches between the DEQ/Ultracurve and other components, even if they are off. Especially don't set the DEQ on top of the transport/Dvd players tracking system.

2) Consider the use of a cheater plug

3) Feed the unit with an optical input, and then feed the balanced analog outputs to your other "high end" equipment. Keep digital connections to a minimum.

4) The unit has a bypass mode, compare the SQ with it in and out.

5) Turn off the noise shaper

Bottom line is that after several months of experimentation with Distributed Power Conditioners, the DEQ/Ultracurve is more musical, less mechnical sounding and has even better rhythmic drive than my Krell Showcase's internal decoding.

The AKM DACs are very nice.

Optional

6) If your AV processor does not have balanced inputs then consider upgrading to a balanced system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.