AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a good media server for my needs. I do not need to stream, I only view my movies in one room. I will be using it on a big screen with a JVC RS2 1080P projector. I would like something that works well out of the box, and not to buggy. So far I have looked at the AV-110 and the WDTV. WDTV is cheaper, but seems like it is still in beta with the bugs, despite the nice image it put out. The AV-110 seems like a step up, but I would like to know if there are any high end media players I should also consider.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP /forum/post/15420739

I am trying to find a good media server for my needs. I do not need to stream, I only view my movies in one room. I will be using it on a big screen with a JVC RS2 1080P projector. I would like something that works well out of the box, and not to buggy. So far I have looked at the AV-110 and the WDTV. WDTV is cheaper, but seems like it is still in beta with the bugs, despite the nice image it put out. The AV-110 seems like a step up, but I would like to know if there are any high end media players I should also consider.

WDTV in beta? Bugs? Are you serious. I think you need to quit believing every little thing you read. I've been using it daily for almost a month now and I've experience to errors, both were gone when I tried it again. It may lack some features but it is far from Beta.

I used to have an Archos 604 wifi and it doesn't even compete on the types of media it will play, the smooth interface, or the stability. I think you need to get one in your hands to see for yourself.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
O.K. now I have a WD TV, and yes it's buggy. Went to there web site and found that there is a firmware upgrade for it, quick download small file but it took 4 hours stuck on the WD TV logo before the install was complete. The firmware upgrade did have some improvements but it still seems some of the basic functions are strange. No chapter search is a bummer. Forced subtitles are nowhere to be seen, and after turning the power off with the remote it leaves the usb connected hard drive powered. This requires me to eject all usb drives first via the menu and then unplugging them and finally turning the unit off. Very cumbersome operation I think. It was cheap enough and does give a smooth image but not the caliber I was seeking. I still have 20 days left in my return policy so I will fuss with it a bit more.

Any other options I should look at?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.K. now when I fast forward or rewind my vob files it goes really smoothly with the WDTV, but when I am at the scene I want and select pause/play, the movie plays in a totally different scene in the movie that I was looking even looking at.

Still looking for suggestion's for a less buggy free media server.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.