AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm about to receive my new Toshiba 65HM167, and I need some help on buying the correct calibration DVD. My DVD player isn't an HD-DVD player so I just wanted to get that out in case it is needed info(although it does upscale to 1080p I believe). This is really my first HDTV, and as such, I don't really know how to go about things. I've just heard from numerous people here that it would be really beneficial if I could buy one of these calibration DVDs to improve my HDTV's quality.

Anyways, if anyone can give me some advice on the best calibration DVD or the one most suited for my specific HDTV, I'd be really grateful! Thanks ahead to all those who answer!

PS: If you could provide a link on where to buy these for a good deal, that'd be great!

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas! After checking out that link piturra gave, the description says ".....high definition, plasma systems...." in the description pane. My coming HDTV set is a DLP, so will I still be able to use this specific calibration DVD? I saw some people discussing a DVD calibration named AVIA; is that one good as well? Are there any differences between AVIA and this DVE?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Both DVE and Avia are good...there are some differences, but not enough to really matter (I have used them both, and either would probably fit your needs). And you would have no problem using either with your DLP.

·
Registered
JBL Original S-Series S26 x6, S-Center, Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Speakers & SVS 25-31 PCi Sub
682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z32razer /forum/post/0

Thanks fellas! After checking out that link piturra gave, the description says ".....high definition, plasma systems...." in the description pane. My coming HDTV set is a DLP, so will I still be able to use this specific calibration DVD? ?

Yes! I've used it for my ...

1) Toshiba 35" CRT Direct View TV (vacation house)

2) Panasonic 20" CRT Direct View TV (to be sold)

3) Toshiba 50" (CRT) 50H18 RPTV (sold via Craigslist)

4) Toshiba 56" 56HM195 1080p DLP (RIP
- replaced w/**)

5) Westinghouse 37" LTV-37w2 720p LCD

6)**Toshiba 62" 62HM196 1080p DLP

7) and numerous TV/HDTV's for family and friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by z32razer /forum/post/0

I saw some people discussing a DVD calibration named AVIA; is that one good as well? Are there any differences between AVIA and this DVE?

The difference is AVIA Test Screens are Letterboxed (not enhanced for 16x9) and DVE is!!!

I own AVIA also, ... and presently just use DVE & HD DVE to Calibrate my Video.

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.