AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Looking for help ... I'm completely new to home AV and get more confused the more I read.

Due to my large living room (cathedral ceilings on large floor plan) I would like to buy some floor-standing speakers for my TV and PS5. My current soundbar doesn't cut it.

I notice many floor-standing speakers have two sets of inputs. I've come across the term "bi-amp" and think they are related.

Questions
1. Do you need to use both inputs to get all the speakers working?
2. Do you need an amp that supports "bi-amp" to use them?

I was about to buy a RX-V4A which says it supports bi-amp, but the bigger model RX-V6A has outputs that are actually labelled "bi-amp" while the RX-V4A doesn't.

3. Would this mean that I couldn't use both floorstanding front speakers and rear speakers?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
For your use I would totally ignore bi-amping (and its poor cousin bi-wiring). Its debatable whether it even gives any improvement.
Once you get hooked and end up down the AVSForum rabbithole in the future then you can start exploring ...........

·
Registered
692 Posts
I personally don't think it's something to consider and rarely needed, but to answer your question everybody will ask the following. How big is the room? How loud do you listen? What do you listen to most ratio wise? Music. /H.T. What gear do you currently have that might be repurposed?. And likely a few more that i haven't though of. This information will help in giving a more accurate answer to the question. Then you'll get the budget questions. All important for an informed desicion

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The room is 8.3m (27 foot) * 6.5m (21 foot). Height ranges from 2.5m (8 foot) to 4m (15 foot). I would call budget "budget level", lets say up to USD$1.5k . It's mostly for watching sports, gaming and occasional TV/movies. Existing gear is just a Samsung sound bar which will be used elsewhere.

I personally don't think it's something to consider and rarely needed
Are you referring to bi-amping or floor speakers generally?

For your use I would totally ignore bi-amping (and its poor cousin bi-wiring)
Does that mean you only need to use one of the two inputs on the speakers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting! So it sounds like I shouldn't be worried about purchasing an amp that supports biamp specifically. Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi,

Don't worry about passive bi-amping. There's no benefit practically. It's just marketing stuff. It costs nothing to include it and adds big words to marketing.

Instead, all you need to do, is get efficient speakers (look at their sensitivity rating) with larger cabinets (more physical in-cabinet volume, more efficiency) with more drivers (reinforcement of SPL). You will find you don't need gobs of power to get loud in your big room. Instead, more important is placement of the speakers (placement and proximity near a wall or other stuff, location of the port if it has one relative to a wall, etc) and room treatment (reflections, nulls).

To drive home how much power you don't need, here's a pretty decent rough way to approximate your peak SPL needs:

Let's say you got some PSA MTM-210 speakers for $1500 for the pair:

Plug some values into your calculator above. 98db sensitivity (very sensitive because of cabinet size, woofer size relative, horn, etc), at 8ohms. They're setup near your display, near the wall but not hugging the wall and you're using two of them (so in the calc you put 2 speakers and put yes to near a wall). Lastly, just put in your listening position distance. Since you didn't have anything listed within your room size, let's assume 10~12 feet? Maybe use 12 feet as an approximation for fun? The last thing is the power in watts. Before just jamming in numbers, look at the table for what's loud. 75db~85db is loud. Higher than that will be too loud. And 110db is the loudness of a jet. 120db will cause you literal pain.

Plug in 10 watts of power in the calc with those speakers. You'll notice it will peak at 103db at 12 feet away. That's already too loud. Put 2 watts in. It's still 96db loud! Too loud! Try 1 watt? 93db! Too loud!

You'd need less than 1 watt to get crazy loud still! So there' zero reason to even think you need to bi-amp or have headroom or anything. Sensitive speakers get loud on potato-juice.

Granted, some other things will come into play with the room size, what's in it, etc. But as you can see, you don't need hardly any power at all. Any basic receiver will drive these to screaming levels. Instead of getting caught up in marketing mumbo-jumbo, just look into the simple physics of it and you can calculate for yourself approximately what something really is and will need to get there. Just focus on sensitive speakers with high efficiency and forget about all the silly extra stuff (unless you just want to spend more for no reason for your goal; this is ok too, not downing on it, part of this hobby is literally having fun gear to look at and play with that isn't actually needed for the most part).

Very best,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts