AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought this whole system and until recently it was working fine. l have it connected the following way;

Onkyo HT-S5400 has 2 HDMI Inputs (Xbox 360 and Dish TV box) and 1 HDMI output to the TV.

PROBLEM:

I unplugged all the HDMI cables so I had access to add in two of the surround speakers. After finishing all the connections I forgot which was the HDMI cables for out and in, so I thought I would do a trial and error.

So I plugged in 1 HDMI to out and 1 HDMI to in to see if I had the right HDMI output cable, my first test failed. So I changed the first HDMI input cable to the third one remaining and it still failed. So I concluded that the HDMI output cable tested was an actual HDMI input cable from either the xbox or dish box.

After switching it up and trying all the possible scenarios, the TV shows NO VIDEO signal but I receive audio from both Xbox and Dish box. This made me think something was wrong with the HDMI output cable. So I tried connecting this cable directly to the back of the Xbox and Dish box and what do you know, I get a full signal (audio/video) on the TV. So now I know that all the HMDI cables are fine.

I have tried doing everything to the receiver but even the menu options and setup doesn't show up on the tv when the HDMI output cable is connected. All I get is sound even though the tv recognizes that there is a connection.

Can you guys tell me what I did? Is the receiver [email protected]#ed? That is the only conclusion I can come up with.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
17,309 Posts
Are the inputs/outputs on the Onkyo labeled as to what they are? Is there a way to reset the Onkyo and what does support say?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the ports are all labeled. I did do a hard reset and it does nothing.

Support doesn't say anything. Onkyo support is a joke.

I'll be taking it in to an authorized servicing center.

·
Registered
17,309 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Onkyo has had a lot of issues this year with overheating etc so hopefully this is an easy warranty fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts