AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built the following system:

i5 2.66 CPU

Asus P55 MOBO

4 GIG Corsair DDR3 RAM

650 Thermaltake PSU

GTX 275 Video Card

X-Fi Extreme Gamer


Currently, I have this system hooked up into my 50" PZ700U Plasma via HDMI/DVI and the audio going into my Yamaha AVR through the analog multi-inputs.


I have Verizon Fios for my Cable and Internet.


What I would like to do is downgrade my Fios to just QAM service and use my PC as a DVR.


I know I need a tuner card and an IR receiver for my remote. I'm lost on how to set it up, what to buy, and how to tune in just my local HD channels. Please help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,696 Posts
Here you go:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815293010


Includes a REAL USB remote (not one of those that plugs into the tuner)

Has ATSC/QAM tuner. You will be buying an NTSC tuner that you won't use but if you are OK with rebates $60 is a good buy for Digital tuner + Remote.


Setup is plug and play, just download the driver for the tuner. If using Windows7 just follow the instructions on live TV setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/18165901


I have Verizon Fios for my Cable and Internet.


What I would like to do is downgrade my Fios to just QAM service and use my PC as a DVR.

QAM service will only get you your locals plus a few extras. FiOS QAM no longer has the standard package of cable channels in the clear. You'll need a cable card for those if you were expecting to get them. If you are fine with just the locals, you might as well go with just OTA unless you have reception issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru /forum/post/18166090


QAM service will only get you your locals plus a few extras. FiOS QAM no longer has the standard package of cable channels in the clear. You'll need a cable card for those if you were expecting to get them. If you are fine with just the locals, you might as well go with just OTA unless you have reception issues.

I just want the local HD channels. My wife and I hardly watch TV, and when we do it's the locals. I would get OTA, but I live in Phoenixville, PA a small town outside of Philly. We don't get the best OTA and I can't put an antenna on my roof to the HOA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/18166152


We don't get the best OTA and I can't put an antenna on my roof to the HOA

I am not a lawyer, but as I understand it, an HOA can't prevent you from putting up an antenna because the airwaves are governed by the FCC. I'd do some research to verify this, then go to a meeting and request to put one up. If they say no, pull out your research and then enjoy your TV!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 /forum/post/18167772


I am not a lawyer, but as I understand it, an HOA can't prevent you from putting up an antenna because the airwaves are governed by the FCC. I'd do some research to verify this, then go to a meeting and request to put one up. If they say no, pull out your research and then enjoy your TV!

We live in a zero lot community, meaning that we do not really own the outside of our homes. Plus our community does not want dishes or antenna on the roof. When people buy into the community they are told this upfront during closing. I hate the look of dishes on the roof on town homes. I have no problem on single homes, but since we all have to live together in these houses, we try and keep the look consistent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/18167936


We live in a zero lot community, meaning that we do not really own the outside of our homes. Plus our community does not want dishes or antenna on the roof. When people buy into the community they are told this upfront during closing. I hate the look of dishes on the roof on town homes. I have no problem on single homes, but since we all have to live together in these houses, we try and keep the look consistent.

Okay, I didn't realize it was a zero-lot, sorry for the misinformation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget /forum/post/18166152


I just want the local HD channels. My wife and I hardly watch TV, and when we do it's the locals. I would get OTA, but I live in Phoenixville, PA a small town outside of Philly. We don't get the best OTA and I can't put an antenna on my roof to the HOA

According to Antennaweb you shouldn't have much of a problem with a basic UHF antenna. Have you tried different antennas?


If you have exclusive use area such as a porch, balcony, or attic, the HOA can't prevent you form using it for an antenna by FCC ruling . You may not be able to permanently fasten it (e.g. screw it to the outside wall or roof) but you could do non-permanent installs. The most basic would be a bucket of concrete and a pole although there would be other options as well. Many apartment and condo dwelling people who want satellite deal with this very thing.


If you are fine with paying the $15 or $20 for only locals, that's your prerogative too. I just didn't want you paying more then what you had to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,110 Posts
Been doing OTA for sometime now. I second the opinion above. You can get a DB2 like UHF antenna and try it at your balcony or window. However, if your signal is marginal, you may get signal lost once in a while.


As far as tuner, I love my HVR-1250 because it lets me program the remote to do a lot of things. Including controlling SlingPlayer and VLC. But it cannot wake up PC from sleep. You can also consider the AverMedia A188 or Hauppauge HVR-2250 which has dual tuner. The latter also comes with a MCE kit (remote and IR receiver). Dual tuner is great because once in a while you will have a recording conflict.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
I have the AverMedia A188 dual tuner and it works great. I live in an apartment and can't use an outdoor antenna and live pretty far from local channels and built one of those DIY indoor antennas with coathangers. It works great... actually better than the $80 RCA one i bought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,110 Posts
Does the HVR-2250 (MCE Kit) comes with USB IR receiver? I wonder if I can use it as a stand alone (for another PC) without the tuner card itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation /forum/post/18171282


Does the HVR-2250 (MCE Kit) comes with USB IR receiver? I wonder if I can use it as a stand alone (for another PC) without the tuner card itself.

Some versions do, some don't. I bought one that DID have the separate USB, but he newer ones don't. I have a 1250 with the IR port in the tuner and it stinks compared to a real USB IR. The one in the tuner does NOT turn the PC in/out of S3, just opens/closes WMC when power is pressed. Sensor is not as sensitive either, have to point remote right at it. Ended up buying a separate remote for the PC with the 1250, much happier.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top