AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market to purchase a tv. I was thinking of getting an lcd 37 to 40 inc. I do not want to spend more than 7-8 dollars. I am considering plasma

reason more screen size and less money.

I have a controlled room. I do not game,mainly watch HD cable, want to get a blueray and I do watch alot of football... Do I need 1080p on a 42 in

or is 720 enough.

These are my concerns....

Burn in...

My main concern, does the plasma fill in the whole screen picture while watching hd cable, or will I get black bars at the top and bottom of picture.

Looking at the panasonics models which do you recommend.

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
Do you need 1080p? It depends on how close you sit from the display. The Panny X1 series is a great 720p plasma, for considerably less than your budget. No need to worry about permanent burn-in nowadays with plasma. Yes, HD broadcasts will fill the 16:9 screen (you only get black bars on the top and bottom for movies shot in an aspect wider than 16:9).

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge007 /forum/post/16978394

I am in the market to purchase a tv. I was thinking of getting an lcd 37 to 40 inc. I do not want to spend more than 7-8 dollars.

Let me know which TV you buy and I'll buy it from you for 14-15 dollars. Profit!

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge007 /forum/post/16978394

My main concern, does the plasma fill in the whole screen picture while watching hd cable, or will I get black bars at the top and bottom of picture.

Sometimes you will get bars on HD stations and sometimes not. Source material not originally produced in a 16:9 aspect ratio may have bars added to it by the station to pad it out to 16:9.

At a reasonable distance, say 7' or more, from a screen less than 50", or 9' from 50" or greater, IMO 720p is fine. I bought a Samsung 42", pn42b450, recently that I'm happy with.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Plasma run dark, look smooth on 60fps content & have better color gradation. Though they have dithering in the whole screen & look bad on static picture. 1:1 pixel ratio will display it but you will see some screen effect(even electromagnetic wave).

LCD

Great for static picture, clean, sharp.

Suffer from bad color gradation

run grey in the dark

Motion doesn't look a smooth as CRT & Plasma

I'm not refering to 24fps movies with forced 3:2 pulldown at 60hz & they use annoying aspect ratio at 1.85:1 and 2:39:1. Such welcome for by movies producer. Didn't they have learn that all HDTV run at 60hz & we have 16:9 ratio.

Sure the welcome of 16:9 after using a 4:3 wishing for finally seeing full size frame may be a myth forever. Wasting time & money for movies smoothing. why don't they use 30fps?? o_O

·
Registered
73 Posts
I watch movies in the dark all the time (i'm a digital artist and the way my house is set up is not normal though) and I've tested various tvs out at home. I'm upgrading my old panasonic Viera so I've started testing again recently and I still prefer the plasmas quite a bit to the LCD. I'll probably end up getting another Viera.

A few notes on common things you'll read:

1) I don't find the 1080p to be noticeable on most content

2) thinness matters to some extent but I don't find it to be a deal breaker.

3) audio from the speakers isn't important to me since i'm hooking it up to a system. This will obviously impact your purchase depending on your setup.

4) Naturally they'll demonstrate the tv's with tons of slow motions shots of chicks sitting on beaches and animated cartoons. find a way to see more normal content before buying a tv. most of what you watch will not be similar to the content you see in stores.

The only thing I've seen that comes close to plasma is the LED stuff. As always though, I'd recommend going in and looking for yourself. The only thing more subjective than eyesight is hearing (as evidenced by people who liked Transformers 2). Go somewhere they don't bother you if you play with the remotes. I always had good luck with Tweeter in California before they closed down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.