AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Experts: I need some advice. This is my first theater room and trying to do it on a budget. Can always upgrade down the road. Room pics are attached. Dimensions are 11.16' x 16.54' x 8.7'. Room is painted and carpet is coming this weekend. I received the items below from a few friends in great condition as a gift. I am going to do a 100" screen, likely doing a painted one (Goo, etc.). Now I am trying to decide on a projector.

Sony STRDN1030 Wi-Fi Network A/V Receiver

Energy Take Classic 5.1 Speakers

Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player

Cable Box (HD DVR)

XBox

There are good deals on Ebay for refurb Optoma HD20 (approx $600). The room has no windows so light isn't going to be a problem. Is this a good buy?

Also, as I start to deal with wiring, I presume that I will need power run to the ceiling for the projector and also an HDMI cable to run to the receiver. Is that all I need up at the ceiling?

As for the speakers, I am going to wall mount them and plan on fishing the wires through the wall. All of the wires are going to be run into the room behind the door (see picture) as that is where the components will be.

Am I missing anything? Any advice, opinions, etc., on how to make things go smoothly?

Thanks!

Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do you have provision for remote control of your AV gear? IR repeater or RF remote with repeater. Dimmable lights?

Also if that white door is in front of your seating position it's going to light up like a torch from light reflected off the screen. If it's in the field of view I would find it quite distracting.

td

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
If wiring behind drywall to projector and it is a tough run, then you should put in at least 3 pieces of cat-6 wiring along with one good HDMI cable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our lights will be on dimmer for sure. Plan on painting the door, just didn't get to that yet. As for the remote control, don't have anything planned yet. Suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@AV_Integrated not even sure if the hd20 has an Ethernet port. Are the extra cables for the future?

·
Registered
7,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrors  /t/1477131/help-on-projector-choice-plus-general-room-set-up-newbie#post_23425088

@AV_Integrated not even sure if the hd20 has an Ethernet port. Are the extra cables for the future?
Yes, should the HDMI cable fail, there are HDMI over Cat-x products out there. Should HDMI become antiquated, you should expect that there will be new converters to allow whatever it is over cat-6. Should new projectors come out which use advanced networking, you will be able to put it to use. Should you want/need a 12 volt trigger or IR run to the projector natively, then you can use that cat cabling. There is a long list of reasons why you should run these cables, but only about $30 worth of reasons NOT to.

OR - run conduit from your A/V receiver location to the projector location so you can add wiring later on as you need to.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I understand your tryin to save a little money, but the HD20 is 4 yrs old now. You might consider a Benq 1070 if the placement requirements work in that room. It's only about $300 more than the refurb your looking at, and would be a better pj overall with 3D. Lots of good comments about it in the forum. Even the Viewsonic Pro8200 might be a little better buy at around $700. Couple of links for reviews, NVM, I seen the Benq was already mentioned to you. You still might want to look into the Viewsonic, 3 yr warranty is pretty good. GL

http://www.projectorreviews.com/viewsonic/pro8200/image.php
http://www.projectorcentral.com/home_theater_projectors_1080p_review.htm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to go with the BenQ W1070. Ceiling is 8'8". Room is approx. 16'x12'. The BenQ website says that the ceiling mount needs to be 2'1" from the ceiling to projector. That seems really low to me, like it will be in the way. I am going to do 100" painted screen. Advice on mounts?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you adjust the position of the screen, higher/lower, you'll see the mounting distance from the ceiling for the pj changes. So as an example if you set the screen 1' above the floor, the screen top is 3'7" from the ceiling, requiring the projector to be mounted 3'5" from the ceiling, or 2" above the top of the screen. So you might try changing the position of the screen to a higher point on the wall, if you think the mounted pj will be to low. The Peerless PRGUNV seems pretty good to most people, easy to work with and fairly cheap at around $100.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts