AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I've been coming here for quite a while but have never posted much.

I've got a Sony STR-K502, 5.1 HTIB that I've had for around 12 years now. It's connected to a home-made HTPC that runs SageTV for viewing DVD's that we own and have ripped on to a file server, listening to music from the server, and streaming music from various internet stations. They are connected to an LG 47" LCD.

The thing is on 24hr a day and in use probably 8-10hrs of that. It seems that the two, front side channels are going out. First the left started dimming maybe 6 months ago and recently the right. I thought that maybe it was the PC, but I've replaced that recently and it did not fix it. I tried to lower the sound levels out of the center and increasing the sides (using the PC's line out gains in the audio driver) to try to even it out, but it is really bad now. Almost no audio out of those channels.

So I think its finally time to replace it. But I'm not sure where to begin. I'm pretty eager as now I can hook it all up via HDMI.

I'm hoping not to spend more than $250 ($300 max) for a replacement receiver. We have a small house so I really only need a 5.1 receiver.

Multi-room capability is not needed since we have a home network to share music.

It doesn't need to be future proof, but I'd like to be able to handle all of the newer audio/video formats

auto-calibration would be nice.

The one thing that I'm concerned about is that the audio coming out of the computer is from an AMD motherboard. I remember some years ago that Onkyo and AMD/ATI boards had problems initializing the HDMI handshake.

Also, if the speakers and amplified subwoofer are still good, can I use those or do I need to replace them with speakers tuned for the system of which I'm purchasing.

So, I know, this is probably the worst question, but any ideas where to start. Panasonic? Denon? Yamaha? Onkyo?

I just need to know what to start looking at (the good stuff) and watching out for (bad products).

Thanks for your time.

hEdly

·
Registered
9,001 Posts
If the Sony HTIB speakers are 3 or 4 ohms, they won't be usable with a new receiver. The same with the sub if it passive instead of being separately powered. Nearly all newer AVRs do TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding. But, you will pay more for receivers with room correction software such as Audyssey.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Are you certain there are no issues with the speakers as well? You could test by switching your fronts to the surround channels and see if the volume seems normal. Otherwise I'd recommend refurbished or one of last year's models on clearance with your stated budget. The Yamaha receivers are on clearance right now and you could probably score a new RX-V473 or RX-V573 within your budget. I would also check out the Denon 1613.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander  /t/1468306/help-on-selection#post_23204354

If the Sony HTIB speakers are 3 or 4 ohms, they won't be usable with a new receiver. The same with the sub if it passive instead of being separately powered. Nearly all newer AVRs do TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding. But, you will pay more for receivers with room correction software such as Audyssey.

I found the manual here:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRK502.pdf

I also had it at home, it looks like the speakers are 8ohm.

The sub is also powered from the wall and is not passive. Sorry I didn't specify that fact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan  /t/1468306/help-on-selection#post_23204359

Are you certain there are no issues with the speakers as well? You could test by switching your fronts to the surround channels and see if the volume seems normal. Otherwise I'd recommend refurbished or one of last year's models on clearance with your stated budget. The Yamaha receivers are on clearance right now and you could probably score a new RX-V473 or RX-V573 within your budget. I would also check out the Denon 1613.

postrokfan, thanks for the input. I did, indeed, try switching the speakers around when the first channel started going out and it did not make a difference.

I think what might have happened was I added a switch between the front channels of the amp and the speakers so that I could have a set outside. I think maybe the switch is bad because shortly after enjoying some music outside, the first of the front channels started to dim. So I quit using it. I plan to set up some kind of networked player outside with amplified speakers (not connected to the receiver in any way).

Anyway, your idea of going for last year's models is good and thought about doing that, but there are just so many models I just couldn't seem to figure out what were old and new. This is the one area of electronics that I just don't have time to keep track of...I haven't needed to figure it out until now.

I'll gladly take some more input if anyone has any.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
No problem. Actually all the specific models I mentioned are last year's models. I would include the Denon 1613, Yamaha RX-V573, and Harman Kardon 1700 in your "to research" list. Keep in mind that the speaker calibration software such as Audyssey (Denon), YPAO (Yamaha), and EZset (Harman Kardon) has the most significant impact on sound quality. Audyssey is one of the most popular as even the version found on entry-level units will EQ the subwoofer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.