AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Set gamma with AVSHD709?

It seems the general consensus for the sony tv's are sub 0 gamma (ie: -2) which is where I began. Im trying to do a "by eye" calibration w/ AVSHD 709 (vs DVE Basics which ive already done) vs. Default ala cinema preset. Just to check and double check persay. (im anal, what do you want from me :p).

Anyhow, the one thing missing on the aforementioned discs is a means for checking/setting gamma. Is this something personal similar to backlight? Or is it something that can only be set with equipment ala grayscale?

If thats not the case, which pattern would I use and how would I adjust?

Thanks folks

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Anyhow, the one thing missing on the aforementioned discs is a means for checking/setting gamma. Is this something personal similar to backlight? Or is it something that can only be set with equipment ala grayscale?
One way to set the backlight control on an LCD can be to target a given light output for white. There are recommended targets for white. Basically it is possible to set a backlight to something other than personal preference, but generally it does require some sort of measurements.

There are gamma test patterns that don't require measurements, but personally they didn't seem to agree very closely with measurements on my displays. Take a look at the "Gamma and black level chart" section from http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html for an example of something similar to what I believe Avia might have on one of their DVDs. Since I didn't have much luck at getting those sorts of patterns to agree with measurements on my prior LCD-based displays, they don't seem very useful to me. Instead I might suggest to try to find measurements that others have done on the same model of display you own. There may be variations between individual displays, and the brightness control can influence gamma measurements, so looking at someone else's measurements is going to be little more than a general idea. If you can't actually measure your display, in my opinion probably the best you can do is to find out how other displays of the same model might measure. Of course that's not entirely different from just sticking with the -2 gamma setting from the cinema preset like you were talking about doing. On my 2014 Sony the default gamma setting from the cinema preset happens to measure reasonably for dim room lighting.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both very much for the replies! I forgot all about Avia and have never heard of the latter. I believe between the two I should be waaaaay better off than I am now. Thank you again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts