AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will post this in LCD too if ok.

Circuit city is starting liquidation tomorrow. So they only have certain brands and models.

I don't have a lot of time to research which is best and so forth, and will do some tonite, before tomorrow.

So thought I would pop in and ask you guys for help.

I need 2... prefer both to be widescreen version..not the square box

1 for watching mainly SD on directtv...not into HD now, but HD ready is acceptable, about 30/32" or bigger,

-for this one which is better ...plasma or LCD or DLP

-which brand/model LCD is the best..as in best PQ, dependability, no motion blur, best sound, best all around LCD, sharp, clear, color correct PQ being most important I guess( I am not a tv expert) Which of the circuit city ones would you recommend or non CC, as i may buy it later if it is better than the CC. would like the smart picture and also be able to play Full Screen, 16:9, etc on it

1 for gaming, i.e. my daughter and the Wii....large enough to play..on but not humongous.

--for this one which is better ...plasma or LCD or DLP

--basically the same as the first , the best all around for gaming, mainly with the wii, no motion blur, crisp good IQ, and what size would you recommend?

I will search more in these forums tonite, but wanted to put this out there in the meantime..

thanks all..t

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
If you go up to 32" their are no plasmas within that size. You will most likely have to look into LCD. Most displays today scale to 16:9 (widescreen), while 4:3 (Pan & Scan) TVs are rarely manufactured. First of all, #1 what is your seating position? #2. What is the room size? That way we can come up with a size and panel recommendation for you.

Chris

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI - prices usually get jacked back up to msrp or over msrp and the big discounts make you believe you are saving. I was recently shopping for 32 inch tvs myself and as Chris stated above, LCD is the only option. I've heard good things about the Panny 32LX85 so you'll want to do more research on this over in the lcd side. Stay away from the Samsung 450 series - they suffer from the infamous "robot audio" issue.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much guys...one is for the bedroom, so pretty much 45 degree to straight on and room is about 12x12.

same for the game computer....same room size and viewing straight on.

thanks for the heads up on the samsung as I was looking at samsung earlier.

Will look at the Panny.

Thanks for the heads up on the price increase...i was wondering about that.so I saved the pages from cc site with the prices to compare and see how much they go up or down..chuckling..thanks folks..t

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and if I get one of the HD models, will it affect the SD IQ? thanks.t.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Don't bother waiting for CC liquidation as most of those products will be marked back up to MSRP prior to being discounted. So you may just be better off talking to one of the forum sponsors.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 /forum/post/15573645

Don't bother waiting for CC liquidation as most of those products will be marked back up to MSRP prior to being discounted. So you may just be better off talking to one of the forum sponsors.

Thanks Nick, I will do that then once I figure which ones I want...that way no rushing to figure out which one before tomorrow, time to research. And I don't think my local cc has a big selection .....best buy has better, thanks for confiming about the costs... Thanks much...t

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
32 is the smallest i would want..42 or so would be fine...

so in you folks opinions in this thread is plasma or lcd better for viewing SD dvds and channels? and any suggestions if it is plasma? Prob do HD in the future, so not a lost cause..thanks.t

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 /forum/post/15573645

Completely agree. READ THIS!!!

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/33343

"Of course, news of the Circuit City liquidation sale will draw plenty of bargain hunters, but (as I've blogged before), buyer beware.

Typically, closeout sales are final: no refunds or exchanges, so think twice before snapping up a big-ticket item like an HDTV. Also, keep in mind that closeout prices often aren't as rock-bottom low as you'd think; make sure to comparison shop online, and don't be fooled by big "75% OFF!" signs on items that have been marked up."

·
Registered
182 Posts
Went to Circuit City store in Westland, Michigan this morning in the hopes of negotiating a truly deep discount on a Panasonic 46" 85U plasma with a Samsung 650 series plasma or LCD as possible second and third choices. No dice. The store manager offered 10% off their sale prices but nothing less. Fortunately, I can wait since my current HDTV, an eight-year old RCA 38" CRT is still putting out a great picture. The CC selection is still excellent but until that 10% approaches 30% or more off, I'm not biting. My guess is that they'll drop their prices to 20% off (on a reduced inventory) in three weeks or so.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13 /forum/post/15576982

32 is the smallest i would want..42 or so would be fine...so in you folks opinions in this thread is plasma or lcd better for viewing SD dvds and channels? and any suggestions if it is plasma? Prob do HD in the future, so not a lost cause..thanks.t

A good Plasma will display SD TV shows and DVD movies better than a good LCD TV given that they both have the exact same source quality.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm /forum/post/15579376

Completely agree. READ THIS!!!

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/33343

"Of course, news of the Circuit City liquidation sale will draw plenty of bargain hunters, but (as I've blogged before), buyer beware.

Typically, closeout sales are final: no refunds or exchanges, so think twice before snapping up a big-ticket item like an HDTV. Also, keep in mind that closeout prices often aren't as rock-bottom low as you'd think; make sure to comparison shop online, and don't be fooled by big "75% OFF!" signs on items that have been marked up."

thanks, yes i have about decided to skip the CC route...t

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/15581872

A good Plasma will display SD TV shows and DVD movies better than a good LCD TV given that they both have the exact same source quality.

Any recommendations on a good plasma Randy/others?

I see that CC has taken their website down..t

·
Registered
9,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13 /forum/post/15576982

32 is the smallest i would want..42 or so would be fine...

so in you folks opinions in this thread is plasma or lcd better for viewing SD dvds and channels? and any suggestions if it is plasma? Prob do HD in the future, so not a lost cause..thanks.t

You never mention about budget. If budget is the an issue and LCD is your choose, check with Costco (if one is in your area, they offer Plamas and LCD). Costco online website shows a decent deal on Sharp 32" and 42" together.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/15586961

You never mention about budget. If budget is the an issue and LCD is your choose, check with Costco (if one is in your area, they offer Plamas and LCD). Costco online website shows a decent deal on Sharp 32" and 42" together.

Thanks J...no costco in my area...i did go check out the site and saw it tho...really tempting.

I have decided on getting a good 40 some inch Plasma for me..prob lower 40...40-46...any idea on some good ones, i.e. best, and a little under the best? don't want low end...I am not sure on the budget as I don't know what good tv's run...so hard to decide..definitely not 1500 dollars..but just depends on the tv and the size and how well it does with SD input..directv and SD dvds for now, till i go HD.

and will prob get an LCD for the game one...thanks..t

1 - 17 of 17 Posts