AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help on upgrading my Replay.

I started with a 3040 unit that I got after being a beta for Replay. I quickly ran out of room so I used the 2-drive upgrade to add a 80 Gb drive (Maxtor).

For the last 9 months, no problems. Last month, the Replay would lock up at times, freeze images on the screen, and sometimes lose all programs I had recorded. I talked to Replay technical support and after some discussions, they thought the primary (original) drive may be going bad.

Not wanting to wait 4 to 6 weeks for them to repair the unit, I thought I'd swap the original drive with another 80 Gb drive and improve things all around.

Once again, I bought an 80 Gb Maxtor drive and used the RTVPatch to copy the original drive and patch the new drive. No problems or error getting the drive to work.

Here's the problem: The replay says it only has 83 Hours available for recording. I had over 100 hours with the first upgrade configuration. I restored the replay to factory defaults (7-7-7-Zones) and after resetting/downloading, still had only 83 hours available.

Here are my questions:

1) Did I have to re-patch the second drive (used in my first upgrade)?

2) Can the 3040 unit handle 160 Gb of disk space?

3) Should I use this type of disk array or use 1 really big drive instead?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Scott

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Sounds like you have two 80 gigs connected up to the replay but you didn't perform the 2 drive RTVPatch procedure.

Hook up both drives to your PC and set the drive with the operating system as drive 1 and the other as drive two. Perform the 2 drive upgrade and you'll be all set. If you are using a win2000/xp PC do a search here for RTVPatch 2.2.2 and use it opting the large cluster option when it is displayed.

Connect both drives back up to the replay IDE ribbon. The drive with the operating system must be jumpered to master and the other jumpered to slave.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottA

1) Did I have to re-patch the second drive (used in my first upgrade)?

2) Can the 3040 unit handle 160 Gb of disk space?

3) Should I use this type of disk array or use 1 really big drive instead?
1) You needed to (and still need to) run the patch with both of the drives connected to your PC. Your replay isn't using your second drive at all. There are instructions on how to do the 2 drive hack on the website -- just refresh your memory with them and you should be fine.

2) Yes, although be sure to get the latest patch utility that uses large clusters so you don't run into memory problems. I'm not sure if the Linux patch currently supports this. KenL? MikeyBoy? toots??

3) Your choice, although heat is the leading cause of death among the old Replays (the new ones have a fan) and the 2 drive configration certainly generates more heat. It may be why your original drive died.

On one hand, you can only get 137GB using a single drive (b/c the old replays don't recognize RRBDs). And since you already have the 2 80's, I'd just stick with them (although I'd make sure the unit is well ventilated, I'd leave off the easy-bake enclosure, and I might invest in a fan.)

--Joe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I re-patched both drives to work together and the replay seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help.

- Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.