AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Denon receiver so I thought I would switch back to using the digital coax input.

And It won't pass threw when using Zoom. WinDVD... ect.

I have went threw all the settings 5-6-10 times. I have tried direct sound, Waveout, auto...

I remember that I had this problem before and did something(not sure what) and it worked.

When I set the output on the players to analog out the denon will detect the audio and play it. But its not in AC3, DTS, DPL ect. it plays it in what mode I want it like DPL II or stereo.

When I set it to play in digital mode the reciever will sort of play the sound track but it is very muted and there is no center at all.

I would hate to run the 5-6 cables direct into the receiver again.

I all most want to through the SB Audigy out the darn window.

one last thought thou. I don't have the small digital cable/wires running from the dvd drive to the sound card anymore. I didn't need it for the analog out of the card, so I never but it back in...

Thanks hope to here good news

Brian

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here's the good news, Brian. I am running SB Audigy2 card passthrough to a Denon AVR-1803 and it works perfectly, so we should be able to assist.

First: have you set the soundcard configurations up properly?

-open up the 'mediasource go!' toolbar and click the go! button on the left. Click on device controls, then the decoder tab. Make sure 'SPDIF passthrough' is checked and not 'Dolby Digital (AC-3) Decode'

This is the most likely reason for passthrough not working. From memory, I had similar speaker output issues as the ones you describe. It took me ages to work out how to set that up. Typical Creative; hide the options that don't require the use of THEIR products.

Otherwise, have you checked your AV receiver's coax setup is set to the correct function? But if it works in analogue that shouldn't be a problem.

See how you go and post back if no-go. Best of luck.

PS. the audio cable to the soundcard won't be an issue.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you much for the reply,

On mine I don't have the mediasource go. I do have the SB Audigy HQ and under the mixer/speakers I do have the Dolby Digital unchecked and output set to SPDIF. There is no setting there for passthrough thou. I do remember the SPDIF pass through setting some were in the settings but now I don't remember were that was(or even if it was with the audigy settings.

I saw that there is lots of updates on the SB site, but have not downloaded them yet. I wanted it to work before I try messing it up again...LOL

Maybe some Ideas were that setting could be...

Thanks again,

Brian

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am also having the same problems with digital pass through, my setup at the moment has an old SB live with the digital header unit.

The only program that works for all audio is PowerDVD 5, I have tried about five others and all won't pass the audio properly. So Brian I suggest you get PowerDVD5 up and running, at least you can watch your dvd's until this problem is solved.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Spearmint

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Not sure if it is part of it, but I remember having problems with my Audigy (almost a year ago) until I set the bitrate to 4800 (I think the default was 9600) in one of the control panels.

I am not sure what version of WinDVD you have. I have version 2 (2000)? I think I also had to use Blights other product - DVD Genie to get SPDIF out.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm using WinDVD5 Platinum and SPDIF out will not work nor will its audio filter pass it in ZoomPlayer either. All others work with my Audigy... PowerDVD, Sonic, Fusion II, etc. I think there is a problem with the WinDVD audio filter. After playing around with it for several days, I finally just gave up on WinDVD. It will definitely work with analog out but that's not what I want... I don't care about all the special sound effects and 'tricks'... I just want SPDIF out! Who has WinDVD5 working with SPDIF out in an Audigy equipped system???

Oh and I've tried both 48 and 96KHz.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm using a card from the Live! series. I see that configuration software may have drastically changed between the two products (Live! and Audigy).

Some parameters to look-up: in my Creative's configuration software is a switch that goes "Decode AC-3." You'd obviously want that to "off." To find that switch you have to click here and there, it's not obvious.

Another parameter would be the "soft driver" that your DVD playback software uses. I can't recall exactly how it goes but would be called is "Creative Audio" and the other is "DirectSound" or something like that. Check-up on it. Your playback software will use one, perhaps it's own. I think you could change the default value in Settings->Control Panel->Sounds & Multimedia. (That would be in Win2k, though.)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same problem when I put together my system. I ended up finding out that the Audigy requires a mono plug out of the line out into the receiver. I ended up using a mono out to RCA adapter and going into the digital in of my receiver. Everything works great now, AC-3 and all.

Josh

·
Registered
131 Posts
Go into the Speaker Settings and make sure the "Digital Output Only" box is checked. Also go into the creative volume app, on the left side there is a plus sign above the master volume slide, click that and make sure it's set for digital output only.

I've been having similar problems. Oddly, I've gotten zoomplayer working for spdif output of DD5.1 but no dts. I'm using the ac3 audio filter.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by monomer
I'm using WinDVD5 Platinum and SPDIF out will not work nor will its audio filter pass it in ZoomPlayer either. All others work with my Audigy... PowerDVD, Sonic, Fusion II, etc. I think there is a problem with the WinDVD audio filter. After playing around with it for several days, I finally just gave up on WinDVD. It will definitely work with analog out but that's not what I want... I don't care about all the special sound effects and 'tricks'... I just want SPDIF out! Who has WinDVD5 working with SPDIF out in an Audigy equipped system???

Oh and I've tried both 48 and 96KHz.
Boy do I feel stupid! I just installed the up-date and nothing worked, so I uninstalled WinDVD completely and re-installed the original and guess what???? now I get perfect SPDIF from WinDVD... go figure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.