AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

First time posting here, for that reason I do hope I am not breaking any rules for these forums.

I purchased myself the Onkyo HT-S5300 HTIB system and I absolutely love it. Hooked up to it I got a Pace Summit/Expander via HDMI into the Receiver and a PS3 (Fat Box) also via HDMI which is acting as a blu-ray player.

The sound is incredible from the few 7.1 channel Blu-rays I have. The ps3 converts all DoblyTrueHD and DTS-HDMA to pcm via the linear pcm HDMI audio output. With the old ps3 this is unavoidable as it is not capable of sending out bitstream HDMA and TrueHD signals. The new slim ps3 apparently can? Anyhow, this is not entirely related to my actual question.

While watching a blu-ray or TV with 5.1 (Weither that be DTS-HDMA/TRUEHD converted to pcm with the ps3 or standard Dolby Digital 5.1 on TV) I have noticed the rear surround comes out of the Middle side speakers. The only way I have found to change that is to enable to Dobly EX (appears to work both on Dolby True HD, DTS-HDMA, and Dolby Digital/DTS) which emulates a 7.1 im guessing and uses all 7.1 speakers.

Is there anyway to properly assign the rear surround speakers rather than the middle surround speakers to output rear audio on 5.1 encodes? Or am i forced to use DolbyEX for all 5.1 programs?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Actually, the surround info on 5.1 should come out of the side speakers, because that's the way it was always intended, even from the early days of 5.1. Rear surrounds were added for 7.1, and without a 7.1 discrete track on Blu-ray, it needs something like ProLogicIIx to put surround sound to the rears.

But if the receiver is hooked up to all 7.1 speakers and properly set up, I'm surprised it doesn't kick on ProLogicIIx by default to get sound to the rears.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info

anyone have an on screen setup guide? ive never calibrated or setup a system before. Things like audessy are off by default. Should it be on?

if anyone has a guide for setting up the HT-S5300 I would be incredibly greatful. Want to avoid paying a calibrator 200 bucks to come in and do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts