AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning at my friends house and they gave me a optima gt720 projector. it sat for over a year in a attic. dad bought it and never used it more then a few events. 50 hours TOPS. when i set it up i get white spots.

what would you guys recommend. it was just about free. should i bother with repair? thank you guys. it also does it no matter what i have hooked up. hdmi or composite or vga

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dumb question, but was always told to start with simplest first.

Have you tried cleaning the lens? How does the lens look in general?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
dlp chips failing looks like-stuck mirrors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the dlp chip is failing. Would u be able yo throw a number out there on the cost of repair? Or if it is even worth it? Ill call optima tomorrow

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an Optoma GT700 which has the same issue. The DMD chip is faulty, but he projector is out of warranty so the repair is going to cost $400-500, which is outrageous. I contacted them before to get a replacement lens cap and they wanted $21 for it.

This projector was a little over a year old and had less than 500 hours of use, before the problem showed up. These DMD chips are supposed to last 10,000+ hours.

In case you are interested, this is the number they gave me to contact them for out of warranty repairs 888-942-2929

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just got a 750e a few weeks ago. I have a little blurry light spot that showed up yesterday. It's about 4-5" in diameter. I cleaned the lens with a microfiber cloth but didn't help. Is this possibly dust inside the lens?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Those are the mirrors stuck, like bad pixels in an LCD.

If you look on ebay, there are tons of Gt700's and 720's with the same problem. Stain on Optoma and that chipset from TI IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts