AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use my desktop with my entertainment system as a DVD player and MP3 player. I have recently wired my home with CAT5, RG6, and plenum speaker wire. Here are my questions:

1) Do I need a specific card for my desktop to connect it as an input device to my tuner?

2) What type of cabling would I use to connect the two with no picture/sound degradation if the run is 65'?

3) Is there something else I should be considering?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by srenfro
I would like to use my desktop with my entertainment system as a DVD player and MP3 player. I have recently wired my home with CAT5, RG6, and plenum speaker wire. Here are my questions:

1) Do I need a specific card for my desktop to connect it as an input device to my tuner?

2) What type of cabling would I use to connect the two with no picture/sound degradation if the run is 65'?

3) Is there something else I should be considering?

Thanks
MP3 I can understand, but I'm curious as to why you might not want to consider a DVD player for your home. You can get some decent ones for under $200 bucks and wouldn't have to worry about converting your PC DVD signal and the long wiring run.

With the MP3 I would imagine you would use a standard sound card and use RCA level output from the Card to one of the inputs on your AV unit. RCA is signal level not speaker level so you have to be especially careful of where you run the cable and shielding for noise immunity.

I haven't done exactly what you are asking, but I'm just taking an educated guess. Good Luck

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you don't get a satisfactory answer here, you might ask in the Home Theater PC (HTPC) forum on this board. The MUCH higher picture quality available from the scaled PC video output may be offset by noise in such a long video cable run.

Have you considered moving the PC closer to the entertainment center? (probably not possible but I thought I'd ask)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.