Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am confused. Got off the phone with Direct TV and was told the 18" round dish was sufficient for receiving HD signals w/5.1 audio. I was told by a couple of other people I needed the Oval dish to receive HD w/5.1 audio. Which one is it? I want to be able to receive All current and future HD from Direct TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Will be getting the Panny TU-HDS20 Receiver.

Thanks,

Dom

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You need the oval one, it allows you to look at two birds at once.

Brian

------------------

Current Set Up:

Pronto 2000

Sharp XV-DW100U LCD

Onkyo 575

RCA DTC 100

Zenith DVD

Inexpensive Pioneer Speakers

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was told by Direct TV that the 18 inch dish would work, but I would need a second 18 inch dish to get regular satelite programming. So it's easier to get the 24 inch instead of the two smaller ones.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am bumping this. I see two responses on the right, but don't see them when I select the topic. Never fails.................

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Just "refresh", no need to add a post.

>I was told by Direct TV that the 18 inch dish would work, but I would >need a second 18 inch dish to get regular satelite programming. So it's >easier to get the 24 inch instead of the two smaller ones.

It MUST be the oval dish (or two round ones), not the 24" round dish available for fringe areas.

Brian

------------------

Current Set Up:

Pronto 2000

Sharp XV-DW100U LCD

Onkyo 575

RCA DTC 100

Zenith DVD

Inexpensive Pioneer Speakers

·
Registered
904 Posts
From my understanding there are 3 dishes:

the normal 18"

the bigger 24" (for better reception that 18")

the oval for looking at two sat's at once

HD is broadcast from the second DTV satellite (119) and you only need an 18" to look at that one sat. Most DTV programming is on sat 101, so to get both you need either two 18" dishes or one oval dish. One caveat about the oval: it is a compromise and will not get as much signal as having two round dishes pointed separately and it will be somewhat harder to aim if you install it yourself.

jake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.