AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Panasonic and hooked up through component cables to my Toshiba DST-3000. The aspect ratio is stuck at 16x9 on the panasonic and won't allow me to change it. I have the DST-3000 set to send out a 4:3 signal but the Panasonic defaults to 16:9 won't change. Any ideas.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What output rate is Toshiba set to? Which channels are you seeing this with? Does the Toshiba aspect ratio button have any effect?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is on all channels. The setting on the DST-3000 does change the picture but not all that much, if I set to 16:9 the picture looks normal, in 4:3 mode it very squahed and cropped top and bottom.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm missing something... if the picture looks normal with stb set to 16:9, what is the problem?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The set only look normal for widescreen program content i.e. HDTVNet all normal channels are cropped and still in a 16:9 window. When I set the DST-3000 to 4:3 the pisture is still sqaushed into a 16:9 format even a little more so. Do you have the same setup ??? Also noticed your Northwest logo are you in the Seattle area ???

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm in Portland, you'll see it to the left of my posts. I don't have your setup but I understand now. Your set must be locking into 16:9 mode at the scan rate the stb is sending (again, what is it?); you may have to output a different scan rate to get 4:3 channels to fill the screen.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The STB is a Toshiba DST-3000 and only outputs 1080i. The problem is the Panasonic is locking into 16:9 and won't let me change when I input through the component inputs as soon as I switch to the SVideo then I can change aspect ratio on the TV. I hope this is not a limitation as I just took back a Loewe TV to get this one because the Loewe would only accept a 480P input.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You're in bad shape I'm afraid - you're going to need a different TV or a different STB to resolve this. If you're TV doesn't lock to 16:9 when fed 480p, you might have some success with the Panasonic STB set to output in Hybrid mode.

Good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am getting very frustrated with these manufactures... Why can'y they get things right. I just fed the TV a 480P signal from my HTPC and it still defaults to 16:9 and won't let you change it. Right now I am just about ready to get my old Toshiba SDTV back from my son and can this whole project. All I wanted was a TV that could view HD when I wanted, watch HTPC when I wanted but mainly watch normal 4:3 stuff without having to change settings because of the wife factor. It seems the make things to work with their own equipment and no other....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.