AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Panasonic PT56WXF90 turns itself off for no reason. It did not do this in my previous dwelling. It only started doing it when I moved to a new house. I can turn it right back on by remote control or the front panel power button. I sent it to the shop and they cannot reproduce the problem, in fact they said it checks out with no apparent problems, is running in spec and complemented me on the excellent picture quality. It is not a protection circuit being invoked because if it were, you would have to unplug the set from the wall to reset it. I believe it is something environmental in nature. On the other side of the wall, directly behind the set is my HVAC unit. I have seen motor noise affect the picture of my 27" Sony (5/6 ft. away) when the heater/AC kicks on. I cannot, however, consistantly reproduce the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks....

------------------

Wayne Harrelson

Springfield, Va
http://www.geocities.com/wayneharrel...HTPC_Page.html

http://www.mp3.com/karnis

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,623 Posts
Sounds like maybe something got shaken up in the move. Wait until it starts up again (in your house) & get on site service to come out.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 04-13-2001).]

·
Registered
780 Posts
My Panasonic CT34WX50 used to shut itself down when I was still using a DTC-100 and was having sync problems. When it got sync it didn't like, usually trying to switch from 540p to 1080i material on the component inputs, it shut down and I needed to power on again from the front panel, not from the remote.

Tony

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys, for your input. It's not a sync problem, everything syncs just fine. It has turned off in 1080i and 480p mode...I don't use the NTSC input anymore. It's almost as if the relay that works with the on/off switch is going bad, or something is operating really close to the on/off IR frequency, or some electrical/AC noise is tripping the power button. My HVAC unit is less than a foot away from the set on the other side of the wall. I can turn it right back on from the remote and/or front panel button. They did say there was a lot of dust in the chassis so perhaps that was causing an intermitten short somewhere. They plan on returning it early next week. I plan on putting it back in the same spot, and if it does it again I plan on moving it across the room away from the furnace.

------------------

Wayne Harrelson

Springfield, Va

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Wayne,

My Panny 34WX50 turned itself off several times too. I had hooked up an HTPC with an HDTV receiver card (accessdtv). When I looked at the picture, it was contrasty. The picture started "alternating" with a black screen and the TV turned itself off. This happened twice.

I later figured out that the component input had too much brightness or contrast, so I lowered it for the HDTV card. The TV has been fine since.

So, there are protection circuits that can get tripped if the component signal exceeds certain parameters. Look at the signal you are feeding into the TV. Just an idea...

------------------

Rich

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike2567:
It sounds like a magnetic pulse is operating your TV's on/off relay switch. This may sound weird, but, if you have a large metal tray (steel or iron, not copper or aluminum) (18" or 24"), try putting that behind your TV against the wall, to try to shield the magnetic field. Also try moving the TV out a few more inches, which might be enough to reduce the magnetic field.

If it works, let me know. If it doesn't work, at least I'm not charging you any money.

Good luck.
Thanks, Mike. That makes total sense because my furnace has an "overheat" protection circuit that kicks in if it runs too hot, and it may simply be tripping my on/off switch. I've suspected all along that the proximity of the set to the furnace is my problem. Unfortunately there is only a couple of inches between the furnace & the wall and I'm not sure if I can fit any type of sheilding in between. My company (Sensormatic) makes backplane sheilding devices used to limit the size of article surveillence fields and I'm wondering if I could fit one or two between the wall & the furnace.

Relocation is probably my best bet, although I'm wondering if a couple large sections of sheet metal might do the trick....

------------------

Wayne Harrelson

Springfield, Va

[This message has been edited by Karnis (edited 04-14-2001).]

·
Registered
292 Posts
It sounds like a magnetic pulse is operating your TV's on/off relay switch. This may sound weird, but, if you have a large metal tray (steel or iron, not copper or aluminum) (18" or 24"), try putting that behind your TV against the wall, to try to shield the magnetic field. Also try moving the TV out a few more inches, which might be enough to reduce the magnetic field.

If it works, let me know. If it doesn't work, at least I'm not charging you any money.

Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We bought a Sony 27" Vega for our bedroom that used to turn on just about every night between 2 and 3 AM. We exchanged it at the store for another one, but the same problem occured. Our bedroom is on the second floor and there are no other electrical components anywhere close to it. We ended up moving that TV to the basement den and moving the 27" TV from down there up to our bedroom. It solved the problem, but it's still a mystery to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.