AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Panasonic CP72 suddenly stopped playing disks. I'm getting H02 on the display, and then "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert a different disc." on the TV. My kids tell me this started a few days ago, and they say they were getting the same message on my other DVD player, also a Panny but a CV30, but that one works when I try it. And of course, since bad things come in threes, when we tried the PS2 to play the disc, it came up with a parental control message that needed a password. I haven't put any controls on the PS2, so that's another issue for another board.

They were using the same DVD on all, so maybe it did something, like it had some dirt that it left behind.

I've tried unplugging and replugging, and both CDs and DVDs of various types. I only get the message on DVDs, on CDs I get nothing.

It is also otherwise acting strangely when it changes discs.

It is just under 1 year old and may still be under warranty, but I don't want to send it in anywhere, but if I have to I will. I want to keep this unit since it has the Faroudja processing and my understanding is the replacement model doesn't.

Is it just dead, or is there something else to try? Since I've recently built some audio equipment myself I've been bold enough to try opening things up myself and take a look, but if I can get warranty service I'll try that first.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
This happenned to me a couple of weeks ago. I called Panasonic, and was quoted $90 to fix.

This seems to be happening A LOT with the CP72....all about this time. I have seen four or five posts about this same problem in the last couple of weeks.

I replaced it with a Pioneer 563a.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It's a long shot, but you could try re-initializing the firmware. Hold down the following three buttons together on the front panel, not the remote: Skip back + pause + eject. If you hold this combination for 2 seconds, the front display will show "initialized"

If there was something really weird about that disc that gave the player a nervous breakdown, this might restore mental health. If not, it's probably beyond anything you can do. However, before you send it back under warantee, you might try to find someone local to take a look. the chances are it's something mechanical, and the problem is that often when these are sent back under warantee, the factory doesn't even try to fix them, they just send you an "equivilent" new unit. The problem, of course, us that none of the new units are anywhere near "equivilent" in PQ to the discontinued treasures like the CP-72, RP-82, XP-30/30.

If you aren't afraid, go ahead and open it up. I've heard that this problem sometimes has to do with the disc not spinning up. You should be able to see this with the cover off, and you may be able to get it to work again for a while by just giving the disc a gentle spin by hand to get it started. I had a Toshiba once that did this, and I was able to fix it by starting a disc and letting it play continuously on repeat fo 48 hours. My theory was that the lubrication on the motor had stiffened up, preventing it from starting, and the continous running got things heated up enough to re-distribute the lubrication. The theory seemed to work, tho I should add that this was a player that I had been using VERY infrequently.

Good luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is now pissing me off about this is I've read all the other posts now that I know it is not a unique problem. How many others just go out and buy a new one without giving it a thought?

We shouldn't have to pay to get this fixed. I don't pay when my car has a problem that everyone else has. It gets fixed in a recall.

This player has much better PQ than any other I've seen and I don't want a different one. I want this one fixed.

I'll be on the phone with panasonic in the morning.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. And I'll be calling Panny MONDAY morning. I'm a little ahead of myself here.

Anyone else want to join in?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Did you buy an extended warranty? The Panasonic CP72 and RP62 have those problems after 7-8 months of use, so its really worth it on those two models.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Zacster did you ever call Panasonic?If so how did you make out.

I sent my CP-72 to the service center in Texas after I got 2 H0 errors.

The first one was H07 in the middle of Cradle to Grave.I took the disk out and put in a Disney that I knew worked fine and it went H02.

I sent an Email to Panasonic and they told me to send it to Texas and they would replace it with a refurbished unit under warranty.That didn't happen.

I received a letter from McAllen Service Center asking me what I wanted to do,1) replace under warrant 2)unit is covered by a Matsushita Customer Plan, or 3) Replace my unit with a factory reconditioned unit for $89.95.

I called Texas (not a toll free number) and they said the labor was out of warranty (I bought it 1/22/03 and it crapped out 7mo.later) I told them they weren't doing any labor they were replacing it but he said that was the cost for labor if they went in and replaced the parts.I told them I would pay the $89.95 just send me a refurbished CP-72.After a week or so I got a delivery from Texas,I opened the box to find a DVD-F65.How can they possibly think this piece of crap is a CP-72:mad:

I been trying to contact someone with the intelligents above a stone to get me atleast a CP-72.The Service center in Texas is only open until 4:30cst.and closed on weekends.I'm a contractor and don't usually get home until dark and I'm not going to try calling on my cell phone.

If anyone has a phone number that might help me please post or send me a PM.

Sorry to rant but I'm P........st

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ugh this scares me! So far both my Rp82 and Cp72 working good as of last night. God I hope it stays that way since there really is no equiivalent to the cp72.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
As reported here again - typically after 7 months of use the CP72 fails. I've also read many reports that the Panasonic service centers will replace the CP72 with an inferior model like the newer Panasonic changers without Faroudja! They don't even keep refurbished CP72s available for replacement, they must realize they will keep failing and its not worth it for them. You might as well buy a cheaper newer Panasonic model because thats what you will end up with in a few months anyway if you get a CP72!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Same problem I had with my CP72 after 7 months. I just trashed it and bought a Denon 1600.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I bought a Pioneer 563a after the Panny went down but I like the picture better on the CP-72.After it was fixed I would just use the Pioneer for the sacd & dvd-audio. Now I just need to get atleast a 72 back to me.

·
Registered
818 Posts
mrpergo the Denon 1600 has even slightly better pic quality than the 72. The only thing is the Denon is a single disc player. I kinda miss having a dvd changer:(

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I opened mine up today to see if I could do anything or find anything obvious. First thing I did was to take the cover off over the spindle. Then I put it back and IT WORKED, but then it didn't. I was getting HO2 and didn't hear it spin up before, but after I could get it to spin up, but it would get HO7 when it would try to switch chapters to play the movie. It would just stop spinning at that point. I also got some flicker when it started playing the FBI warning and on the menus.

My diagnosis is that it is either the motor, as others have said, or maybe the motor control software, since it seems to work and then not work when the pickup needs to move, which controls rotation speed. The tray mechanism works fine, but again, when the motor starts and stops, it goes crazy. All these related things smell of a software bug, but why now I can't answer. (Or the error trapping shuts down other functions.) Being a software type myself, I know that these things are never random.

In any case, the motor mechanism, if I'm looking at the right part on the Panasonic web site, is $57. Add the fact that I don't really know what I'm doing, or labor charges from someone that does and still won't get it to work, and I think a new player is the answer. These electronics are too complicated, and at the ever lower prices (except for a Faroudja equiped player it seems) and it just doesn't pay to fix them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.