AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using this sub for years, but have had it unconnected recently. I went to plug it back in for a movie, and the green light on front comes on, but NO SOUND WHATSOEVER! No clicks, no boom when you first connect the audio jack, nothing. Tried with two different amps now, and I am out of ideas!

This sub is at least 5 years old...has anyone ever dealt with getting service on an out of warranty paradigm sub? Should I try to fix it myself? Maybe it's just the opto isolaters on the input are blown? I'm totally bummed out by this!!

Help me if you can.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Pull the woofer and check for a loose connection at the driver and at the amp. Check for a blown fuse. Connect the woofer to an external source (like your speaker mains).

If the woofer works, then the problem lies in the amp somewhere. Unless you are a qualified electrician, don't touch anything inside the amp with it plugged in - be safe when troubleshooting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not an electrician, but I am an electrical engineer. I realize there are some high voltage and high current parts inside the Sub. I assume there are just two wires connected to the woofer. I will let you know what I find out.

In the meantime, has anyone ever dealt with paradigm service? I don't know what to expect with repair if I have to send this monster in.

Thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to say I fixed it the other day. Opened it up to find the LM3876T (2 of them on board) were both fried...a few pins on each were carbonized. I replaced 4 TIP35C's 4 TIP36C's and 2 LM3876T's for a total cost of $35. Beats lugging around a 100 lb sub!

Hope this helps someone in the future...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Im glad you got it fixed!

If it had been something you couldnt fix, im sure you could ask paradigm to send you a replacement part(s) for you to repair yourself if possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.