AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a small/cheap computer to do a very simple task, my requirements are quite simple.

It HAS to have windows XP pro and have either a dvi or hdmi port and support a 1080p res. (1920x1080). It will be connected to a 52" LCD screen and always displaying one screen the entire time.

Ive looked at various thin clients but Ive never tried any. Considering the basic functions it will be doing Im not looking to spend a lot, maybe $300 +-

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-HT /forum/post/18229893

I need a small/cheap computer to do a very simple task, my requirements are quite simple.

It HAS to have windows XP pro and have either a dvi or hdmi port and support a 1080p res. (1920x1080). It will be connected to a 52" LCD screen and always displaying one screen the entire time.

Ive looked at various thin clients but Ive never tried any. Considering the basic functions it will be doing Im not looking to spend a lot, maybe $300 +-

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks

whats the point of xp?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/18230812

whats the point of xp?

i have a piece of software that seems to only like XP, I haven't been successful installing it on windows vista or 7 yet.

so until then, I need it to have XP...unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18230776

The problem is anything new won't have any XP drivers.

With his budget, I don't think he's looking for uber new...

Both AMD's 785G and NVIDIA's GeForce 9300/9400 motherboards work just fine under XP with hardware acceleration. I think I remember reading that the G45's drivers don't have DXVA support in XP.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
check ebay for a broken screen laptop. there are tons.

i was just on there looking for my next project, an under the kitchen cabinet htpc...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks JDHuskey, that just might work.

Ive never tried to install this on xp home but I think it will be ok. Im gonna purchase one for testing and try that.

I don't see anything in the specs but im going to assume it supports a 1920x1080 resolution

gonna go pick one up today and try it out.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-HT /forum/post/18240761

thanks JDHuskey, that just might work.

Ive never tried to install this on xp home but I think it will be ok. Im gonna purchase one for testing and try that.

I don't see anything in the specs but im going to assume it supports a 1920x1080 resolution

gonna go pick one up today and try it out.

I also recommend the Zotac MAG. It has a Atom 330 (dual core) and ION GPU, but does not come with an operating system. Price: $300.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your help. I picked up the revo 1600 and it's perfect. It's small, cheap and does just what I need it to!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 /forum/post/18245642

I also recommend the Zotac MAG. It has a Atom 330 (dual core) and ION GPU, but does not come with an operating system. Price: $300.

$260 free ship right now from ewiz after coupon code: DONUT2315.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts