AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, the four remote controls and the lack of lighting in my living room are getting to me! I am looking to buy a remote control (obviously). And yes, the WAF means easy to use (though I am not afraid to program myself). I tried my Ipaq 3970 but its IR is worthless.

But I am also looking to get track lighting. There is a single switch inaccessible in the corner for a single overhead light. We need a lot of light for the 20x17 area since our desks are also there. So we are looking to make a large 'H' track with as many lights as possible hooked up (we have home depot gift cards to use). So we would like a switch with a remote control that can switch as much wattage as possible (maybe 1000W or more). I saw several solutions from Lutron, but I am not sure what would work (ie if we want a low voltage specific switch, etc etc). I'm assuming it would make sense to get a remote control for the home theater that also would control the track lights.

Please advise on a REMOTE, TRACK LIGHTING, and a SWITCH to finish our living room!

Here are the components to control

-Hitachi 57SWX

-Sony VCR (changes channels for cable)

-HK 525 receiver

-Pioneer 563 DVD

(for the curious, the rest includes Parasound 2205 & 1500, BFD1124P, Polk LSi15/C/9, Adire Maelstrom, and bass shakers)

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
for a remote, the devices you want to control are almost unimportant (most good rermotes should be able to handle most equipment, and chances are that if one of them cannot then none of them will).

with any more info on the remote side (like how much you want to spend and what other features you want) I will say

- there are the OFA and the radio shack remotes on the cheap side

- there is the Pronto line if you want a toucscreen

- there is the HTM remotes if you want push buttons that can be labelled

- there are the Harmony remotes if you want push-buttons and exotic features such as variables to keep track of what is on, wizards to help with the set-up, guide to pick shows...)

these seem to be the 4 camps that divide most people that know anything about remotes and you can read reviews on the HTM, Harmony and pronto remotes by clicking on reviews at www.remotecentral.com

as for lighting, you might want to visit the X10 forum at remote central

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of the Harmony 659, but want to make sure that my remote choice fits in with the lighting control. For features it is about WAF- better be extremely easy to use. IE, when watching TV the user doesn't have to think about the fact that channels change on the VCR and volume changes on the receiver, its just automatically done.

I had not considered X10 before- this is only a 1 bedroom apartment so there is nothing much to control. I also don't want any noise messing with power to my computers or audio equipment. I just need to turn on and off a single switch for 1000+ watts of track lighting. Does X10 fit this best? What other options are there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
even with WAF, I think it is more on her likes and your talent (since all of these remotes give you lots of options and it is up to you to make it waf acceptable.

I think I have heard of some IR controlled light switches, but can't remember what they are. X10 type products are good in the sense that they are relatively easy to use and there is a lot of knowledge out there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Take a serious look at the MX800..Amazing remote. I just ditched my Pronto and wont be looking back.

for lighting I went with Lutron IR dimmers. Very cheap and easy to install. Can Generate 5 difference scenes.

Phil

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't overestimate the WAF? In many cases the "W" is much more intelligent than the "H"! In fact, you proved my point? Never even thinking about X10 for lights and dimmers? Come on... give me a break!!

I am woman... hear me roar! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVIDGR
Don't overestimate the WAF? In many cases the "W" is much more intelligent than the "H"! In fact, you proved my point? Never even thinking about X10 for lights and dimmers? Come on... give me a break!!
Oh come on... if you don't have anything nice (or helpful to say), don't say anything at all... Do you really think X10 is a good choice for a single control? If so, please suggest a solution.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I grabbed a Harmony 659 at 10% at Best Buy. But I haven't opened it yet as I wanted to double check. Will it work with a lutron wireless dimmer? And if so, please help me pick which would fit with the track lights at Home Depot.

Would these work? I'm looking for as many watts as possible
http://www.lutron.com/novat/

Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any input? I still haven't opened the remote, but I don't have forever to return it if it won't work for me.

I looked at the Harmony internet programming, and several Lutron products are listed which is encouraging.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If anyone ever searches this thread, I thought I'd answer my own question. Most of the lutron switches with remote do work with the Harmony remotes. We got two Lutron 1000watt dimmers. The Harmony 659 works with all our equipment just fine.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
infini,

You need the IR543 X10 receiver to control a X10 dimmer / switch device with a universal remote. Cost is about $23.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.