AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi I'm setting up 7.1 In my living room and need help picking out the best setup under 10k.

Main use is for movie, music, karaoke. My room is 19'x31' with cathedral ceiling, room also open up to entry and kitchen. Was thinking about Martin Logan electromotion series setup but I like some type Inwall speaker to go in the custom built entertainment center.

Currently have 80" sharp TV, Xbox one , and Bose v20 system that is to small for that room.

Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just for more clarification. Are you looking for 7 speakers, subs (large room would benefit from more than one), and receiver all for 10k?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes 10k budget for the complete setup. Speaker, amp, receiver. Was looking at maranzt SR-7008 or denon AVR-x4000

·
Registered
261 Posts
With that budget you definitely need to look into JTR speakers for your LCR. Incredible for movies and music. Very clear and dynamic.

Seaton's SubMersive master/slave combo would work well in your large room. You could go with cheaper speakers for your surrounds for now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The JTR's will not be a good choice for you at all if you're looking for in-walls or super slim speakers like the Martin Logan Electromotion's. I don't have much experience with in-walls but if I were forced to use them these would be at the top of my demo list for sure.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
In-walls at $10k? The Klipsch THX series look good. Triad Gold s supposedly sound great as well. Atlantic Technology in-walls have a great reputation as well. I would not go in-wall for subwoofers though, that is the kiss of death for home theater unless you can arrange an 'Infinite Baffle' system . Get a multiple sub system. Some great subs for that budget would be a dual Rythmik FV15HP , dual Hsu VTF15h or dual SVS PB12 Plus subs. A great AVR is the Denon AVR-X4000, which has the capability to easily dial-in dual subs.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I love my JTR speakers but if this system is going somewhere that you'd like to have a really nice looking speaker for everyone to see, then they aren't for you.

With that being said they are a pretty amazing speaker. But if you're really interested in inwalls I'd suggest you take a serious look at Triad speakers.

IMHO you're far better off to spend a little more on great speakers now then save a little upfront and realize down the road that you'd like to upgrade them.

Great speakers do not need to be upgrade every few years like electronics do.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1508096/help-picking-7-1-system-for-19x31-room-with-10k-budget#post_24128382

Great speakers do need to be upgrade every few years like electronics do.

I am guessing you intended to place a 'not' in that statement but missed it.

To the OP, I will add one more thing, karaoke has a way of blowing out tweeters, I would get something with a powerful tweeter, perhaps a compression driver if you are able.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1508096/help-picking-7-1-system-for-19x31-room-with-10k-budget#post_24128455

I am guessing you intended to place a 'not' in that statement but missed it.

To the OP, I will add one more thing, karaoke has a way of blowing out tweeters, I would get something with a powerful tweeter, perhaps a compression driver if you are able.

LOL.... my bad, I'll fix it.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1508096/help-picking-7-1-system-for-19x31-room-with-10k-budget#post_24128360

In-walls at $10k?
I believe he is looking to spend 10k on everything total, speakers, subs and AVR.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Well, I think for a room that size I would set aside $2500 for dual FV15HP's and another $1000 for a Denon AVR-X4000. That would be a awesome start and leave $6500 for 7 speakers.

I know the OP said 7.1 but that is a huge room and a lot to ask of a single sub. He's willing to spend 10k he should really consider dual subs, whether its what I recommended or something else IMHO.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Although I prefer my JTR's I really liked the Klipsch RF7-II's that I heard with the RC-64 center channel. The OP could then use the Klipsch Reference inwall speakers to go along with this.

From everything that I've heard the AVS store offers 50% off of list on the Klipsch stuff too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LCR and sub can be floor standing speaker, I can built entertainment center around it. I was thinking in-wall for surround but if bookshelf speaker sound way better than I can have carpenter built shelf to make it look better. Budget can go over 10k if it's going to make big different in sound quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1508096/help-picking-7-1-system-for-19x31-room-with-10k-budget#post_24128989

Although I prefer my JTR's I really liked the Klipsch RF7-II's that I heard with the RC-64 center channel. The OP could then use the Klipsch Reference inwall speakers to go along with this.

From everything that I've heard the AVS store offers 50% off of list on the Klipsch stuff too.

%50 off? RF-7II and RC-64 on that list?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How does the klipsch RF7II setup compare to jtr ? My tv room is also family and den, it's where everyone hang out at when I have party and the klipsch looks allot nicer than jtr. Should I get brand new maranzt SR-7008 for $1300 on craiglist or just stick with refurbish denon? Thanks everyone for your advice!

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncasper  /t/1508096/help-picking-7-1-system-for-19x31-room-with-10k-budget#post_24144586

How does the klipsch RF7II setup compare to jtr ? My tv room is also family and den, it's where everyone hang out at when I have party and the klipsch looks allot nicer than jtr. Should I get brand new maranzt SR-7008 for $1300 on craiglist or just stick with refurbish denon? Thanks everyone for your advice!

I did like the RF7-II's but I just preferred my 228HT's more, they just did everything a little better. And they where more composed at louder levels. The ONLY downside IMO is that they aren't as nice looking on a speaker as the Klipsch. Although I've made some really nice custom stands for mine and I personally wouldn't have any issues having them in my living room.

Honestly I think it comes down to dismissing returns though, if you were starting from ground zero and are okay with how the JTR speakers look; then I say without a doubt get them. But if you already had the RF7-II's, I don't know if you'd want to sell them to buy the JTR's. Without a doubt in my opinion the components used to build the 228HT's (compression drivers, drivers, crossovers and cabinets) are way better quality over the Klipsch parts. Hell my 228HT's are only monitor style speakers and at 75lbs each they way more then most tower speakers.

IMHO the only advantage the RF7-II's had were bass as they are more of a full range speaker. But if you're using the 228HT's with a good quality sub like they are designed to be the 228HT's are a step up over the Klipsch speakers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts