AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a receiver in this price range is beneath the typical AVS forum member, but in these economic times my budget is what it is. I have a tivo, DVD, HDTV STB, and CD player to support.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, but every once and a while you do come across a gem.

My wish list would include some way of supporting future Dolby formats, RF remote, and multi source/mutli room, but would do with out those for now and maybe buy something better done the road.

Any thoughts, advice?

·
Registered
6 Posts
From Another FORUM:

S H

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 29th, 2002

I would look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S. It has a great reputation around here, and can be found as low as $300 shipped online through yahoo shopping. It supports all of the current sound formats, including DTS-ES, DD-EX, DPLII, and NEO:6. It's also very future-proof, offering 7.1 speaker setup options, 7 channel inputs and full pre-outs. In my opinion, it's the best receiver for under $500. Other notables are the Denon 1803 and the Panasonic HE200, but i doubt you could find either of those for $300. Either way, the D811S is a real winner.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got a b-stock Denon 1801 through U-Bid for about $260 a while back (2 years ago?). It is great! I drive my M&K S-150's (4 ohm speakers) set with no problem. Of course, I do have a smaller than typical room. Never had it shut down on me.

(This is not to say that the system can't sound better with a more powerful set of amps. But as you wisely pointed out, in these hard economic times....)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I second the Pioneer D811S. Sometimes the big guys can put out a great value. This is one of them. It even comes in black or silver.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For a little more you can find the Yamaha 5560. It's very well liked by the guys at audioreview.com and it's probably my next buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.