AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure exactly what I am looking for, either a receiver or a preamp. Here's my situation, I have two crown audio xls202 amplfiers, the first one is powering a pair of euro polk Monitor 60s, the second one is powering two rear monitor 50s. Currently a 4.0 sound system, but I plan on adding a center channel and a subwoofer.

Basically, I am looking for a receiver that can output line level, preferably with TRS jacks or XLR output for each channel. I'd like to be able to hook it up to multiple digital sources, my computer, my dvd player, my dvr. I want it to be able to decode the various surround sound formats. I would prefer the receiver have no onboard amplfication whatsoever.

I was at bestbuy and explained this to the salesperson, and he suggested a yamaha receiver(I forget which specific model), but I looked at the floor model and it was extremely confusing, plus after clarification I found it put out 70 watts per channel, and did not appear to have line level outs. He did not seem to understand that I already have amplifiers and do not wish to hook up a hot output to my amp.

My vision is very, very poor--I am using font size 36 to write this--, so I want it as simple as possible. I don't want something that has a huge mess of 20 RCA jacks and everything on the back of it. I don't want to be wondering if I plugged in the SPDIF in the right hole or not. And I don't want to be configuring it with a small mini LCD menu on the front. I also don't really care about it being able to handle 1080p video or anything like that.

My budget is around $200-400.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Your best bet would probably be the Yamaha RX-V663. This would allow you to decode all of the currently available audio formats. You would then hook-up 4 of the pre-amp outputs to your amplifiers and use one of the speaker level connections to power, say, your center channel for a 5.1 system.

If you don't care about the lossless audio formats, you might be able to find an older (used) model pre/pro from such makers as Outlaw Audio or Emotiva. As far as your vision goes...well...! Be sure to use lots of light when making your connections! Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRSQUARED /forum/post/15576920

Your best bet would probably be the Yamaha RX-V663. This would allow you to decode all of the currently available audio formats. You would then hook-up 4 of the pre-amp outputs to your amplifiers and use one of the speaker level connections to power, say, your center channel for a 5.1 system.

If you don't care about the lossless audio formats, you might be able to find an older (used) model pre/pro from such makers as Outlaw Audio or Emotiva. As far as your vision goes...well...! Be sure to use lots of light when making your connections! Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out. Although, after more research I think I'm actually looking for a processor/preamp and not a receiver. I'll look around for another week or so.

Still, I would appreciate any and all advice or recommendations.

Thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the design of the onkyo PR-SC885, but its price is out of my budget. I looked at several other preamp-processors and they were all several times over what I am currently willing to spend. I'm sure there is a surround preamp/processor in my price range, I see tons and tons of receivers for around 300 with built in amps, I don't see why there isn't a likewise priced preamp.

My searching is greatly slowed down by my sight and the fact that most images of the rear panel are low resolution, so I can't zoom it in enough to distinguish the connections. I would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpher /forum/post/15622120

I'm sure there is a surround preamp/processor in my price range, I see tons and tons of receivers for around 300 with built in amps, I don't see why there isn't a likewise priced preamp.

There is no modern preamp in your price range, although you might find an older Pro-Logic only unit in the 200-400 dollar range. An older one that offers Dolby Digital and DTS will be a couple hundred more.

The Onkyo is the least expensive of the modern pre-pros. There are only a small handful of receivers in your price range that handle HDMI and have pre-outs (what I consider to be the minimum requirements for a receiver these days). The Pioneer already mentioned would fit this bill.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans /forum/post/15625401

There is no modern preamp in your price range, although you might find an older Pro-Logic only unit in the 200-400 dollar range. An older one that offers Dolby Digital and DTS will be a couple hundred more.

+1 on this.

You are either going to have to spend more money for a dedicated pre/pro, or just a get a decent receiver (can have low power) but that has pre-outs.

Something like a Marantz sr4002 from accessories4less would do the job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thanks for the answer. Rather dissapointing, it seems there would be a market for low priced surround preamp. If a 7.1 receiver can be made with dts surround decoding AND 70 watt amps for under 400, it seems it would only be cheaper to make one without the unnecessary amp.

I guess I am going to just save up for another month or two and get a decent preamp processor. I am looking at the Outlaw Model 990. Only thing is I have no use for the 1080p and dvi handling, it makes me wonder how much money is going towards features which I would never use. Isn't there a preamp processor without any video nonsense to it?

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpher /forum/post/15626427

Well thanks for the answer. Rather dissapointing, it seems there would be a market for low priced surround preamp. If a 7.1 receiver can be made with dts surround decoding AND 70 watt amps for under 400, it seems it would only be cheaper to make one without the unnecessary amp.

The market for pre/pros, at low price levels, is much, much smaller than for AVRs. The additional design and tooling plus the overhead of an additional SKU all contribute to the higher price, even for fewer features.

Quote:
I guess I am going to just save up for another month or two and get a decent preamp processor. I am looking at the Outlaw Model 990. Only thing is I have no use for the 1080p and dvi handling, it makes me wonder how much money is going towards features which I would never use. Isn't there a preamp processor without any video nonsense to it?

Yup. I've used the original Cary Cinema 11 and the Atoll Electronique PR5.1, both of which may be available used. OTOH, I suggest you get an AVR, new or used, with preamp outputs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 /forum/post/15625464

+1 on this.

You are either going to have to spend more money for a dedicated pre/pro, or just a get a decent receiver (can have low power) but that has pre-outs.

hmm, I finished looking through another two dozen receivers, but all that I looked at have damn RCA preouts. Are there any that have Balanced XLR or TRS outs? Yes, I know I can get an adapter to plug in, but I absolutely cannot stand RCA jacks, I can't tell them apart and they look identical to spdif in or composite video. I'm liable to be changing it around, and I don't want to mess around with the 30+ mess of RCA that all modern receivers seem to have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, unless there is a receiver with XLR preouts, I will probably just save up awhile longer and go either for the onkyo PR-SC885 , a denon DN-A7100, or outlaw 990. I'm of course open to more suggestions and would appreciate input on which of these pre processors is the better bang for my buck.

Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts