AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I post in the DIY section and nowhere else, so this is a first! I would like to get help from the masters on upgrading my current avr. I have a Yamaha rx-v? 5.1. It has composite audio only.

Right now I'll be using 3.1 only and will soon move to 5.1. I could care less about hdmi switching as it seems most hdmi devices have link issues. I'll want plent of optical inputs.

So I found 4 receivers that are somewhat local all within the same area of price, I'll wheel and deal. So out of these for what would you get. I plan on giving my old one to my dad as he has a early 90s technics that no longer puts out any lfe of any kind and so he uses tv sound... Ick!

1. Yamaha RX-V2600

2. Marantz SR-18 (this thing looks like a monster)

3. NAD T763

4. Pioneer*VSX-1015TXK

Thanks a million all.

Dan

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
out of your list i would opt for the marantz sr18 all day long.its a beast.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
I would go weith the marantz too. I didn't know 5.1 receivers were made that only had composite audio inputs. Not even a 5.1 coax input?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may have a coax, not sure. Ok so far looks like the marantz is in the lead. He is asking $200, I'll see if he'll take $150. Is there any other options in that price range that would be suggested over the marantz?

Dan

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
KidHorn must be under 30...

Look up...

Technics SA GX650. That was the first receiver that included a universal(albeit learning) remote.

HT has existed since well before the digital/MP3 era.

From circa 1993, just a couple of years removed from when "center speaker" itself was new. YES, the original Home Theater was sans center channel...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Technics-SA-GX65...-/160593993421

And about your choices...the SR18 or the NAD T763 by a LONG MILE. I'd pick one of them for one reason, and one reason only...

They have pre-in/out on all channels, so when the day comes to buy another one, you can still use the SR18/T763 as a slave amp. I give the nod to the NAD(particularly cause it is 6 channels over 5 of the SR18).

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabracer23 /forum/post/20787900

It may have a coax, not sure. Ok so far looks like the marantz is in the lead. He is asking $200, I'll see if he'll take $150. Is there any other options in that price range that would be suggested over the marantz?

Dan

Of course the Marantz SR-18 has coax and optical. Very capable of 5.1 setup (without hdmi of course). Music is DA BEST. I owned this beast. $200 is a very good deal.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20787962

KidHorn must be under 30...

I wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20787962

Look up...

Technics SA GX650. That was the first receiver that included a universal(albeit learning) remote.

HT has existed since well before the digital/MP3 era.

From circa 1993, just a couple of years removed from when "center speaker" itself was new. YES, the original Home Theater was sans center channel...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Technics-SA-GX65...-/160593993421

There's a difference between dolby surround/HT and 5.1. 5.1 came about when DVD's were introduced.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
And your point about 5.1?

The idea of "subwoofer" has been around since 1976, with the first powered ones in 1977.

Technics/Sony/Kenwood etc...ALL had 6 channel receivers with POWERED subwoofer outputs(so you could hook up passive subwoofers) BEFORE AC3.

AC3=DD

Oh, and by the way, AC3 was out with Laserdisc and the "non-starter" Philips CD-i(which at the beginning had planned movies as well as games). Panasonic had a competing "non starter" as well called 3DO.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20788241

And your point about 5.1?

The idea of "subwoofer" has been around since 1976, with the first powered ones in 1977.

Technics/Sony/Kenwood etc...ALL had 6 channel receivers with POWERED subwoofer outputs(so you could hook up passive subwoofers) BEFORE AC3.

AC3=DD

Oh, and by the way, AC3 was out with Laserdisc and the "non-starter" Philips CD-i(which at the beginning had planned movies as well as games). Panasonic had a competing "non starter" as well called 3DO.

Thanks for the history lesson.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I am eliminating the yammi and pioneer, so between the marantz and nad there is more love for the marantz?

Dan

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
My "lack of love" for the Marantz is mainly due to its lackluster(comparatively speaking) specs...

They said in the product literature it weighs more than the Denon 5700, it doesn't. The power is rated at 1Khz, same as Denon...being one of the first D&M products.

What is the price of the two? $200 is "low" for an SR18. Is it missing the remote or something?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The marant is in excellent condition (supposedly, as I havn't seen it in person) it does come with remote and manual. Asking price is $200, I'm going to offer a bit less to see what I can get.

The NAD is also excellent, bu tdo not know if it comes with a remote yet. Asking price is $260, I'll offer like 210.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts