AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Music sound quality is very important to me so I'd rather have tight clean bass than boomy bass. I've read of SVS and HSU mentioned a lot. What are the advantage's of going square based enclosures versus cylinder based enclosures with SVS. My room isn't that big so I imagine I wouldn't need anything crazy. I'm more concerned about SQ at low levels than being able to rattle the neighbors. I don't want to have to crank it for it to sound good.

My front speakers (represented by those 2 squares) are ENERGY Reference Connoisseur RC-30 . Display is a 50" Sony 50A10 (represented by that black blob between the RC-30's). I have an opening to the right of the right speaker which leads to the kitchen. I also have Energy C-3's (will upgrade to RC-10's or RC mini's in future) to the left of the couch and one between the right of the couch and behind the chair. The front door is to the left of the left RC-30. Floors are hardwood.

Width: 12'6" (150"s) with an opening to the kitchen on one side about 4"s from corner (Width 3'2" (38's), Height 6'8 (80's)

Lenght: 13'6" (162"s)

Height: 8' (96"s)

Volume: 150x162x96 = 2332800

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Advantage of the cylinders is footprint (16" diameter) and/or as a conversation piece, not performance. They are easier to move around than the big subs, but weigh about the same as the PB10 or smaller Hsu's.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
HSU VTF-2 MK3, $469. 12", virtually same sub as VTF-3 MK2 (which I own - output to mid-teens in Max Extension mode and my room is over 2x the volume as yours) that went for $700 6 months ago. Can't beat that, unless you got a deal on a bigger/better sub used at half original price.

Plus, you need to move your couch away from the back wall. That's a big no-no unless absolutely unavoidable, because of room acoustics and what it does to the sound (especially bass) right against the wall. Even a foot or so of clearance behind the couch will help tremendously.

And I highly suggest adding something like the Tri-Traps from GIK Acoustics to the three available corners - 2 corners at least.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips cyberbri. I had no idea that having the couch against the wall was a bad thing for accoustics.. I can move the couch a little bit out, maybe 6 inches so. The room is small so I want to maximize the real estate. Haven't thought about bass traps either, seems pretty hardcore, but sounds like it is worth it. Thanks again for the tips and recommendations

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Yes, bass traps are definitely worth it. Used them myself in my current set up, I'd rather have a $500 sub and $300 in bass traps than an $800 sub with no bass traps. The former would perform and sound better, all other things being equal.

That being said, there is a BIG jump in performance when you get into the $400+ range versus the subs below that, at least when it comes to online/Internet-direct brands.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
You'll have enough viable options to make your head spin, especially considering your relatively broad, 2 to 1 price range. While I could name many, I won't attempt to, except to note that the SVS PB-10 NSD is arguably the most popular choice on this forum within that price range (~ $475 delivered).

Most of us are of the bigger-is-better school, and we tend to suggest subs at the top or slightly over anyone's stated maximum price.

However, given your modestly sized room and stated listening parameters, I'd suggest you take a look at the Hsu STF-1, a well reviewed, but often overlooked alternative, which is currently available for $280 delivered.

It's great for music and very good for HT. It doesn't have quite as much extension as some other subs, but it will reproduce 99% of almost any soundtrack, and chances are you won't miss the rest. And its physical size won't overpower your space (good for WAF).

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Macfan,

HSU's VTF-3 MK2, which I own and previously sold for $700, is now basically the VTF-2 MK3 with a small reduction in wattage on the amp, which now sells for $469. This new model was just recently released, but it easily trumps the PB10 and is worth much more than the extra $30 in base price. It's easily on par with the PB12NSD.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again Cyberbri. I can see how that would make sense. My old place had carpet, switched to hardwood floors in that place change accoustics dramatically as well.

Macfan424, thank you for the input. I just read up on both of those. Look like pretty good alternatives and might make sense as I'm not really trying to bring the walls down with bass, just smooth blend with my speakers. I like the idea of being smaller as well now I have to move my couch away from the wall.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
If you have hardwood floors, be sure to put a large rug in the center area to cut down on reflections. If you have windows on the sides, curtains can help there too.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/0

Macfan,

HSU's VTF-3 MK2, which I own and previously sold for $700, is now basically the VTF-2 MK3 with a small reduction in wattage on the amp, which now sells for $469. This new model was just recently released, but it easily trumps the PB10 and is worth much more than the extra $30 in base price. It's easily on par with the PB12NSD.

I agree, it's a great bargain. In fact, it has me mulling getting one as a third sub for my HT.

I mentioned the PB10-NSD because of it's great popularity on this forum and because it actually costs less than $500, delivered. (The VTF-2 MK3 goes for a bit more, ~$520, delivered.) Plus, the PB10-NSD remains an excellent sub that has earned its many fans.

However, either would be an imposing box in such a small room. My real point was that the STF-1 seems like it might be a good fit for briankmonkey's needs. (He could spend the rest of his budget on bass traps.
)

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Yeah, that's true.

Another option would be the ********** X-sub, which goes for about $200 IIRC. I think it's a tall, slender box, with nice finish options too. 8" sub, tight and musical, like the STF-1.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If you are really concerned about music and not so much about ultra low extension and output, you might also want to look at the Rocket UFW-10.

-Eli

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Well, at least the internet brands allow a trial period, so all you are out is the shipping. The only good place to audition a sub is the room in which it will be used.

Since a few other smaller candidates have been thrown into the mix, I'll mention the Outlaw LFM-2. It seems to be essentially an STF-1 which, based on specs, apparently is tuned about 1/2 octave lower and has what many consider better cosmetics. Dr. Hsu helped design it, as well. It costs about $70 more (delivered) than the STF-1, though.

As I said before, you have lots of good options.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any advantages of having the sub place in certain areas? Basically I have about 4 placement choices:

1) behind left front speaker

2) behing right front speaker (next to opening that leads to the kitchen.

those two being the easier setup choices

3) somewhere along the wall between the opening to the kitchen and the bottom left chair.

4) behind the bottom left chair.

Left side isn't really an option as that is a big glass window.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.