AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new here and I don't have a lot of knowledge on audio equipment to date. However I am looking to purchase a new HTIB fairly soon so I need a little help to find out what is right for me. For starters here is my current setup:

32" Sharp Aquos with 2hdmi inputs & 2component inputs

Playstation 3 hooked up straight to TV via HDMI

Xbox 360 hooked up straight to TV via component

Budget $400

Now I'd like to buy a system that would allow me to watch blu-ray movies in uncompressed PCM 5.1 or 7.1 and play games on both PS3 & Xbox360 in surround sound. So right now Im a little confused whether or not the receiver I get needs to have HDMI in's and out's. Hopefully someone can answer this for me. Here are the two systems that Ive been looking at currently:

Onkyo 7.1-Channel Home Theater System (HT-S790) $399 @ Circuit City

Onkyo 5.1-Channel Home Theater System (HTS894) $649 @ Circuit City

The second choice is a little out of my league in terms of price but Im trying to convince myself that if I absolutely need an HDMI receiver then I need one. So please let me know what you think or if you have other suggestions of HTIB's. If I can get the first one to work on surround with my current setup then I will be happy. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would think the S790 system would be a fit. You can pickup a HDMI 5 x 1 switch box from monoprice.com for $100.00. Great deal. I have one and it works fine. My setup is a projector, hdmi switch (DVD, HD Tuner, Cable Box IN and OUT to Projector) with a S790S for the audio. Check the Official S790 thread to see how people are hooking up game systems. You'll want to make sure you can hookup those systems via a digitial optical cable which you can get from monoprice as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also one more quick question, if I did get the Onkyo 7.1-Channel Home Theater System (HT-S790), can I use it just for 5.1 as my room is quite small and there isnt room for all 7 speakers and a subwoofer. thanks

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, lots of people are using it as a 5.1. Just turn off the surround back speakers in the setup menu.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by closer0 /forum/post/0

Bump, Im seriously just thinking about getting the Onkyo 7.1-Channel Home Theater System (HT-S790), but I need to find out if I can use it with my system. Knowledgable people please help!

Absolutely you can use it. You won't be able to use the HDMI through it, but you don't really need to. Just use HDMI or component from the game systems straight into the TV and use digital audio cables to the receiver.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/0

Absolutely you can use it. You won't be able to use the HDMI through it, but you don't really need to. Just use HDMI or component from the game systems straight into the TV and use digital audio cables to the receiver.

Sweet, thats exactly what I want to hear. Ok, well I already have 1 HDMI and 1 component cable....can someone tell me what other audio wires I will need to hook up the system to both gaming systems and TV...possibly links to monoprice ones?

Also 1 last thing, when upgrading the speaker wires, what is the largest size I can use: 14AWG or 16AWG? Thanks so very much = )

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by closer0 /forum/post/0

Also 1 last thing, when upgrading the speaker wires, what is the largest size I can use: 14AWG or 16AWG? Thanks so very much = )

You might not believe it, the the best speaker wire you can use is the black 12 gauge low voltage outdoor lighting wire - the kind you get from Home Depot amd Lowe's. Many 'golden ears" can attest to this (at least the ones who have tried it!) I'm sure that the folks at Monster Cable wouldn't like it - they sure know how to market wire, though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great, thanks for your help guys.

Actually Ive been thinking I may just hold off on getting the Onkyo (HT-S790) seeing as they were discontinued. Im hoping either they will go down in price or they will introduce another model that will be in the same price range and include a receiver that has HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
29,326 Posts

Quote:
You might not believe it, the the best speaker wire you can use is the black 12 gauge low voltage outdoor lighting wire - the kind you get from Home Depot amd Lowe's. Many 'golden ears" can attest to this (at least the ones who have tried it!) I'm sure that the folks at Monster Cable wouldn't like it - they sure know how to market wire, though

This may be true but 12ga will not fit in the spring clips of the speaker terminals on the HTIB speakers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.