AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new here and my knowlede about audio equipment is pretty much on the lamen scale. I plan on getting a new 1080p plasma this summer when prices hopefully come down a bit and I want to get a nice sound system ready for it. I currently have a 60" Phillips projection TV and the picture is nice but sound isn't that wonderful. Anyways, I was wondering what a good system to get for roughly $500 or less would be. I own a house so I don't have to worry about neighbors too close. Also I already have DVD/VHS combo player and a PS3 for blu-ray movies. All I really need is speakers/sub I'm assuming but I'll let you all be the judge of that. I have alot of DVD's (around 200) and was wondering if the upscaling DVD players actually make that much of a difference and if so, can you recommend some. Thanks for all your help everyone.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Vili, best bang for the buck right now seems to be the Onkyo s790, nice receiver with plenty of connections. The only drawback for some people is the speakers are rather large. If that's not an issue it's a pretty good deal. You can pick them up at Circuit city for around $400 new or refurbished at shoponkyo for around $329. Yamaha is another option I think the Yht 370 is around the same price range at Best Buy. I listened to them both when I was shopping around and they both sound decent. There are a few threads on both here, do a search and you'll find a lot of info. A third option if you don't mind doing a little shopping would be to put one together. Check out the Panasonic, Onkyo, or Yamaha receivers, they all make models around $200. Velodyne has a pretty nice speaker set on sale right now for $199 and then all you need is a sub. That would probably be your best sounding option if you don't mind the extra work and a couple extra bucks for a decent sub.

As far as the upscaling dvd players go, you'll hear opinions from both sides, a lot of it depends on how good the scaler in your new tv is. In my case it made a pretty noticeable difference. I have a cheap Samsung, but most guys like the Oppos. Check out their link at the top of the forums page.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks so much for your help. I'll definately check out those models, hopefully they have some on display at BB or something. I'd definately prefer something not too large, like speakers on the tops of the wall, but it isn't a deciding factor. Is there anything specific I should look for in a receiver? As I said I'm new to the whole audio thing. Also, I know that for video the cable doesn't really matter (as far as the brand/quality) unless it's going to be a long cable...does the same go true for audio? Thanks a ton and I hope to hear some more info from everyone.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
1080p plasma? $400 HTIB?

you're looking at the porsche 911 of TV's and the dodge dart of audio systems. i'd recommend you look at separate components to better complement such a fine display.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a budjet and personally I would rather have better PQ than sound. Also, just checked my current 60" Projection HDTV and it is about 2-3 years old but it doesn't have any optical audio inputs. If I go ahead and get this now is there anyway to get it to work with my current TV or only with my PS3? Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Vili, as far as the receiver, just make sure you like the sound and that there are plenty of connections on the back. I would probably stick to the Onkyo or Yamaha if you are going the htib route as they both come with decent stand alone receivers. You're not going to get a lot of extra features in that price range so I wouldn't worry about it.

For the audio cable, do yourself a favor and buy a roll of 16 guage speaker wire right off the bat and wire with that. Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, anywhere like that for about $12 for a 100' roll.

To connect to your current tv, if you're using a cable box it should have a digital audio output, either optical or digital coax. You can just run that right into the receiver and deliver your sound that way. If no box you would have to run audio out of your tv into the receiver. If it's not a digital out then you would use the dolby pro logic feature on your receiver to create simulated surround. Not the same but it works.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one quick question if anyone can help me. I really like the Onkyo 790 but I called Amazon and they said it didn't have an HDMI connector and it may not be what I need with my current setup...(PS3, HDTV, couple other game systems, dvd player, etc.) Is there any noticable difference between using the HDMI and the digital audio? I know I wouldn't need two cables for HDMI but is the sound quality that much noticeable. Also which is better, digital audio or coax? Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vili /forum/post/0

Also which is better, digital audio or coax? Thanks again.

Do you mean fiber optic and coax?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Coax is also digital audio.
You probably mean digital audio fiber optic. The 790 receiver does have three fiber optic and one coax.

Either is fine; they have the same level of sound quality. Fiber optic will be immune to interference, but other than that, use what your components (DVD, PS3, etc.) will allow.

If my components give me a choice between fiber optic and coax for digital audio, I opt for fiber optic so if I get that one component that only uses coax (and for me it was the cable box), it's free for use.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Well, HDMI would be good for the Blu-Ray audio, but I don't think there are any receivers in your price range that would use it (not sure, though. I do know the 790 doesn't use HDMI, even as a pass through). HDMI would be overkill for regular DVDs. For both Blu-Ray and DVD, regular digital audio would be fine for a modest system.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great, I think I am going to get this system, looks like it's $420 from amazon shipped and tax free. Thanks everyone for all the information and help. One last question though, after reading other forums I am still not clear on this but, will regular SD Television channels go through my 790 or only the TV. And if it is a 2 channel audio source will it convert it to all 7 speakers?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Are you using a cable box or is the TV acting as the tuner? If you are using a cable box, you can route the video through the 790 or you can hook it directly into the TV. I've seen both done. Audio should be going to the receiver regardless, unless for some reason you want to use the TV speakers.

Quote:
And if it is a 2 channel audio source will it convert it to all 7 speakers?

Yes, although it depends on the source; some work better than others. Some programs and DVDs won't use the surrounds much, even if they advertise "surround sound." It also depends on which listening mode you use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.