AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a pair of 805 D3's. I'm trying to build my 5.1 surround package. For the rears I need to do in ceiling. I plan on using the speakers for theater 90% of the time. I've been looking at the B&W HTM2-D3 for the center and DB3D for the sub. For the rear ceilings perhaps the 8.5 D's or 7.3 S2's.

I want don't want to go with an integrated amp/processor so I can upgrade the processor only in the future, does this make sense? For the amp i'm looking at the Rotel -RMB-1585 and the Rotel RSP-1576. Does this look like a good fit? I'm a bit of a novice so other recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Those will be nice sounding speakers with the classic B&W sound.

Two obersvations:

1) Even though it seems counter intuitive, a good AVR with all the features and good power is cheaper than a processor alone. So if you are trying to save money even with future upgrades, a good AVR will be cheaper than an amp and separate processor that you upgrade -- both now and in the future.

2) While that is not a bad sub, it is very expensive for what it can do. Part of the expense is that they have packed a low of power in to a small box. And part of the expense is the brand name recognition. If you have space and a desire to spend less and get more, you should consider some of the quality internet direct brands like HSU, SVS, Rythmik, PSA. And if you have space for a ported sub (or, better, two, in order to have more consistent bass across multiple seats) that is the way to go. The downside of a ported sub is size. The upside is that you get lots more headroom for no extra cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those will be nice sounding speakers with the classic B&W sound.

Two obersvations:

1) Even though it seems counter intuitive, a good AVR with all the features and good power is cheaper than a processor alone. So if you are trying to save money even with future upgrades, a good AVR will be cheaper than an amp and separate processor that you upgrade -- both now and in the future.

2) While that is not a bad sub, it is very expensive for what it can do. Part of the expense is that they have packed a low of power in to a small box. And part of the expense is the brand name recognition. If you have space and a desire to spend less and get more, you should consider some of the quality internet direct brands like HSU, SVS, Rythmik, PSA. And if you have space for a ported sub (or, better, two, in order to have more consistent bass across multiple seats) that is the way to go. The downside of a ported sub is size. The upside is that you get lots more headroom for no extra cost.
Thanks for the response. I'm already looking into the SVS for the sub...I'm considering getting the ported option if I can get it to fit inside the custom entertainment cabinet i'm putting together. Do you have a recommendation on an AVR to look into?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts