AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received two free QSC RMX 1850HD amps. I was planning on getting some ED speakers, but it seems like these amps are a huge overkill for those speakers (1800 watts! Maybe I don't fully understand how it works though...). First, is the assumption that these amps are an overkill for the ED towers right? And second, what speakers should I get given these amps? 60% HT and 40% music. Budget $2300ish (including receiver). Thanks!

·
The Village Idiot
9,750 Posts
That is quite a gift you've received. But you don't have 1800 watts on tap unless you connect them to 2 ohm speakers, a rarity in todays audio market.

Here are the specs on your amps:

QSC RMX 1850HD Power Amp Features:
  • Delivers 360W per channel into 8 ohms
  • 600W into 4 ohms
  • 900W into 2 ohms
  • 1,800W into 4 ohms bridged
  • High-current toroidal transformers
  • Independent user-defeatable clip limiters
  • Selectable low-frequency filters (30Hz or 50Hz)
  • Front-mounted gain controls
  • Signal and clip LED indicators
  • Balanced 1/4" TRS, XLR, and barrier strip inputs
  • Binding post and Neutrik Speakon output
  • Independent DC and thermal overload protection on each channel

You could run about any speaker you'd like with them. It doesn't have to be large speakers. You could run bookshelf speakers if the urge to do so struck you. You'd likely harm nothing but your ears unless they were very small speakers. More speakers are damaged by under powering them than overpowering them.

With a budget of $2.3K, you have a wide field of possibilities.

But first, will you be setting up a 2 channel stereo setup, 5.1 home theater, or what? What size room, what do you listen to? Movies, music? House or apartment? (sub or no sub).

There are a lot of considerations to make to enable you to make the best of your resourses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info as I received the amps used with no books!

My situation: 13x22 room 8 ft ceiling, with two 5 ft openings to other rooms (house, not apartment). Prefer 5.1 if it fits in my budget, but if someone recommends that I start with two mains first and save up for surrounds then I would not mind that either. I will be purchasing a sub, but that can wait as well (looking at epik knight or HSU VTF-2 MK 3). Looking at Denon 988 receiver (unless someone advises me otherwise). 60% HT and 40% music. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
138 Posts
You are very very lucky. Mind sharing with me?

As to your question, you have a wide variety of choices. If i was the lucky guy and had that budget open and power available already, I'd be very tempted to open up the budget some more and look at a JTR system. I know you said you prefer 5.1 but I gotta say from all the systems i've heard, a notch up pair of front speakers tops a notch down 5.1 system. Just look around and see what info you can find and take a listen to a variety of speakers.

·
The Village Idiot
9,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runharley52 /forum/post/15436410

Thanks for the info as I received the amps used with no books!

My situation: 13x22 room 8 ft ceiling, with two 5 ft openings to other rooms (house, not apartment). Prefer 5.1 if it fits in my budget, but if someone recommends that I start with two mains first and save up for surrounds then I would not mind that either. I will be purchasing a sub, but that can wait as well (looking at epik knight or HSU VTF-2 MK 3). Looking at Denon 988 receiver (unless someone advises me otherwise). 60% HT and 40% music. Thanks for the help!

The Denon 988 is a good receiver. You can use it for powering the surrounds and the 2 power amps for the front L/C/R channels or some other configuration. The 988 has preamp outputs and will connect to the amps.

Emotiva makes some very well received speakers. Don't let their diminutive size fool you. Combine them with a sub and you will have a complete surround package that can rock 2 channel sound as well.

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=25

·
The Village Idiot
9,750 Posts

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Congrats on the free amps - very cool.

Speakers:

Revel

Paradigm

B&W

Salk Sound

Monitor Audio

Polk Audio

Boston Acoustics

PSB

Dali

Usher

Totem

There's a decent amount of good speakers in that price range. Try to audition everything you can within that range. And for what it's worth, I am one of those guys that recommends starting with a really good 2.0 or 2.1 system and building from there. That way you don't have to sacrifice sound quality just to get the full 5 or 7.1 up front.

Enjoy the search.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, thanks to everyone for your help! I can't wait to hook up my new speakers, amps, and receiver. Here's what I ended up with:

Amps: Two QSC RMX 1850HD (Received these free!)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663BL

Towers: Elemental Designs A6 - 6T6 - Tower Pair (I'm from Iowa, so I thought I would go with some home grown speakers)

Center: Elemental Designs A6 - 6T6 - MTM

Surrounds: Elemental Designs A6 - 6T6 - MTM

Sub: Elemental Designs A5 - 350 (Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I am about 80%)

A few more questions: The speakers are 6 ohms. This this compatible with the amps right (I only see 8,4,2 in the manual)? I was told it would work with the receiver so hopefully that is compatible as well! I was thinking one amp for the towers and one amp for the center/surrounds. Is this my best option and is it difficult to set up (I'm pretty new to this stuff, sorry!)?? Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.