AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my box working last night after receiving help from this forum.

Now I'm again perplexed. I had no problem getting HD signals in Brooklyn about 7 miles away from where I moved to in Staten Island, NY. I have no large buiding in my line of sight (but I do have some trees)and I believe that my area is somewhat elevated (Sunset Hill)

I tried scanning for channels with my Silver Sensor and received only channels 2 and 5 with no viewable picture.

I then hooked up my cable from Time Warner directly to the DST3000 and could only receive a few cable broadcast stations, no CBS or HBO.

The HD monitor I'm using is the Toshiba 65H80.

any help would be appreciated especially due to the fact that I've been looking forward to setting up HD for months.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bogney,

thanx for the info.

How about CBS and FOX? I presume they broadcast from ESB.

If a scan finds them but I see no picture does it mean that the signa is too weak or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Correct, CBS and Fox are from the Empire State Building.

It does sound like the signal is too weak. What signal strength numbers do you measure on you DST-3000?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't check the strength. Am I correct in assuming that there is a screen in the set-up area where I can do this?

Also if I were to get a roof top antenna would that give me the signal strength to access all the possible stations from my location.

The weird thing is that I used the same Silver Sensor antenna with a HDTV PC card and it worked great in Brooklyn which is just 7 miles away from where I currently reside.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I only owned the DST-3000 for 3 days but I do remember a signal strength meter. Once you find it, tune to channel 44 or 56 and adjust your Silver Sensor for maximum reading. Hopefully you will find a spot that allows the stations to lock in. If not, you may be forced to install an outdoor antenna.

[This message has been edited by Bogney Baux (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Frankx99

I have just purchased a hdtv and have the RCA DTC100.

I also live in SI area and have a rooftop ant.

If possible can you let me know how you make out with a rooftop ant. I will be getting delivery on my set on June 18

and will be using a como vhf-uhf rooftop ant. and am curious on how the reception will be.

You can post it here or e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks for your help

jackipp

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jackipp,

I'm using an indoor antenna (Silver Sensor) on the North Shore and it is working great.

I'm sure that you will get good reception with an outdorr antenna.

I'm considering installing an outdoor antenna anyway considering I'm having DirectTV installed soon and it would be a good time to have it done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for your input Frankx I hope I can say the same about my reception when my set arives.

I am on the south shore, Tottonville as far as you can get on the Island.

If I may ask, how many HD OTA channels are you getting that look like HDTV?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I have the DST-3000 that Bogney Baux owned for 3 days (actually Toshiba has is in Nashville right now, but that's another story).

The DST-3000 has a strength meter in the Installation Menu under Dish Setup. If you have a digital channel tuned, you will get the strength for that channel. If you have a Directv channel tuned, you will get the Staellite strength.

Check page 4-8 in your owner's manual

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As of now and since I moved in only CBS and FOX.

When the WTC is again operational I should also get ABC, NBC, UPN, and PIX

They are coming in in HD but are upconverted most of the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.