AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. I am debating downsizing my setup from an older Integra DTR 5.9 (HDMI 1.3 & Audyssey 2EQ) + 5 channel Carver AV-705x & Carver M1.0t + Kimber Kable Hero interconnects to just a Single well powered AVR. I am looking at the SC-75 and SC-77 as options.


I am using Polks LSi lineup (LSi 15 fronts, LSiC center, LSi F/X surrounds) so I need decent power (4 ohm stable) that your normal Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon cant provide.


I am struggling to see what the major differences between these AVR's are.


I would love to snag a 79 but its just not gonna happen. I also am a stickler for buying from an authorized vendor and for good reason as my Integra got 3 HDMI boards for free as a result of the warranty.


I have the following source units:


Pioneer 51FD blu-ray player

Xbox 360

WD Live TV w/ 3 TB HDD filled with MKV rips

Squeezebox Classic

Pioneer laserdisc player

Uverse DVR


I have a Panasonic TCP-60ST30 so I can do 3D which is something I would like to explore so these AVR's also do all those functions. In addition its got all the capability speaker wise I would need now and in the future.


So here are my questions:


1. What differences are there between these units

2. Which would you go with

3. How did MCACC do w/ your sub integration and do you feel it would be good to augment it later on with something like a SMS-1


Thanks in advance.


P.S. any other AVR suggestions are welcomed provided they will work with my speakers. I also want to have 9.2 or 11.2 capability as this is a VERY long term investment for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
1. Have look here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-77

For differences between models go to the "Manuals and Brochures", then click on Product Sheet. The items you see bolded are found on the 77, but not on the 75. Similarly if you open the 79 product sheet you'll see bolded items not found on the 77.


2. Depends on your needs/desires.



3. You would be aware MCACC does not EQ below 63Hz. In my case with my single sub it did me just fine. Also be aware some of the new 2014 models will do sub EQ. I have not used any 3rd party products for sub optimization but many on here post of good results with SMS or REW or PBK etc.


PS Neither the 75 or 77 will do true 11.2, they are 9.2 AVR's.


Note also that some claim Class D amps have audible artifacts. I have never encountered this with my SC-75 be it is something to be aware of. Recently saw a post somewhere on AVS by a person claiming they could pick out a Pioneer Class D in a ABX test as it was so "dirty". Not sure if such a test has been done however. If the 75 or 77 has the features you are looking for I feel you'll be happy with either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown3611  /t/1525169/help-pioneer-sc-75-v-sc-77#post_24552045


1. Have look here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-77

For differences between models go to the "Manuals and Brochures", then click on Product Sheet. The items you see bolded are found on the 77, but not on the 75. Similarly if you open the 79 product sheet you'll see bolded items not found on the 77.

Here are the differences between the SC-75 and SC-77



Amplification

810 W Multi channel Simultaneous Drive (50 more than the 75)

240 wpc @ 4 ohm 2 channels driven (20 more than the 75)
Construction Design
3D Space Frame Construction

Low Leakage Flux Power Transformer
Audio Features
AIR Studio Monitor Certification

THX Ultra2 Plus Certified (75 is only THX Select2 Plus Certified)

DSD Direct Playback via USB Memory Devices (5.6 MHz, 2.8 MHz)

Full Band Phase Control/Auto Phase Control Plus

Speaker System 11 Patterns


I honestly dont know if thats enough to justify the cost difference. DSD Playback via USB would be cool, if I planned on using DSD down there, which I dont see myself doing. Not sure about the Full Band Stuff or the Speaker Patterns. Curiosu about the Power Transformer thought as that might make a difference. The WPC isnt that big a deal because I will be using only 5 channels of the possible 9 to start with and even if I upgrade I only see myself adding heights to the mix, and they will be LSi 7's more than likely which are 6 ohm nominals. And thats IF my wife would even let me which is quite doubtful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown3611  /t/1525169/help-pioneer-sc-75-v-sc-77#post_24552045


3. You would be aware MCACC does not EQ below 63Hz. In my case with my single sub it did me just fine. Also be aware some of the new 2014 models will do sub EQ. I have not used any 3rd party products for sub optimization but many on here post of good results with SMS or REW or PBK etc.


PS Neither the 75 or 77 will do true 11.2, they are 9.2 AVR's.


Note also that some claim Class D amps have audible artifacts. I have never encountered this with my SC-75 be it is something to be aware of. Recently saw a post somewhere on AVS by a person claiming they could pick out a Pioneer Class D in a ABX test as it was so "dirty". Not sure if such a test has been done however. If the 75 or 77 has the features you are looking for I feel you'll be happy with either.

I was aware they dont EQ below 63 hz. Currently my Integra DTR 5.9 using 2EQ which provides NO sub EQ at all. Also I plan to build a MartyCube with a iNuke 3000 which includes its own onboard DSP to allow me to even it out. And if that doesnt happen I had planned to add a SMS-1 or Mini-DSP to the mix to fix the low stuff.


But I am confused by what you mean in the underlined section. Are you referring to other brands like Onkyo where some of the XT or XT32 dont include Audyssey SubEQ?


I did know they are 11.2 (with an external amp) or 9.2 with onboard amps. Given my wanted use for 5.1 + heights max that would provide more than enough for my needs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow  /t/1525169/help-pioneer-sc-75-v-sc-77#post_24552624


But I am confused by what you mean in the underlined section.

Sorry, I was not clear on that statement. Pioneer has announced some 2014 models that will do sub EQ, for instance the VSX-1124 and VSX-80. One would expect to see more 2014 Pioneer models that are capable of this as they become available later this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown3611  /t/1525169/help-pioneer-sc-75-v-sc-77#post_24552693


Sorry, I was not clear on that statement. Pioneer has announced some 2014 models that will do sub EQ, for instance the VSX-1124 and VSX-80. One would expect to see more 2014 Pioneer models that are capable of this as they become available later this year.

Gotcha. Sticking w the 2013 models as options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow  /t/1525169/help-pioneer-sc-75-v-sc-77#post_24553066


Gotcha. Sticking w the 2013 models as options.

I have the same exact speaker setup as you, but I'm using a 2012 SC-67 model and love it. Like dbrown said the 2014 elite line hasn't been announced yet which should have MCACC doing sub eq now. I'm kool with the way it is, but you have more options now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
286 Posts
If you've settled on the 75 instead of the 77 it has pretty much been decided by the community that the SC-1523-K is the EXACT same receiver as the 75 without the Elite branding and slightly different warranty. MSRP on the two is the same as well.


You can probably save some good cash by going that route since online retailers can discount this product and advertise the discounted price (which they can't do on the Elite receivers). I just ordered one from that rain forest online retailer for a very good price (in my opinion).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedInFargo  /t/1525169/help-pioneer-sc-75-v-sc-77#post_24553464


If you've settled on the 75 instead of the 77 it has pretty much been decided by the community that the SC-1523-K is the EXACT same receiver as the 75 without the Elite branding and slightly different warranty. MSRP on the two is the same as well.


You can probably save some good cash by going that route since online retailers can discount this product and advertise the discounted price (which they can't do on the Elite receivers). I just ordered one from that rain forest online retailer for a very good price (in my opinion).

Good to know. Thankfully I've got a way to get better pricing on the SC-75 so while the SC-1523-K may be less, with my pricing difference it moves the 75 within my budget and around the same price as the 1523K.


I also prefer to stay within the Elite line as I know those can take the 4 ohm load of my LSi's. I dont want to chance it with a non SC model. I was leery enough on the SC models that it took me a bunch of years to trust they could handle the LSi's.


Also the warranty difference is a issue as well. My Integra's 3 year warranty (as opposed to the Onkyo's 1) saved my a$$ with its HDMI board failures that were covered under the warranty (3 times).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
If you're still In the market. Get to best buy quick they are doing in store pricing I think if you are in the market. You could find the 79 in the price range they are half off putting it at 1500.


I know I would like the 79 too but I think my wife is more happy about the savings we got with the [email protected] 1250. After seeing some of the posts I'm thinking even the 75 would fly at the 1100 price. I to am near the same set up I have Lsi9's for fronts and rears and the Lsi Cener. I have a smaller place. No towers are in my future at this location. Hope this finds you in time the receivers are on sale tell Saturday. I will probably stick with the 77 just for added extra phono inputs at @ 150 price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any differences in zoning between the 75 and 77? I haven't found anything in the manual but have seen a few comments about differences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
I was at my local Best Buy with the Magnolia store Saturday and the SC 75 was still on sale for $1099.


FYI the Sc 75 was the only Pioneer Elite model on sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
I am seeing the SC-75 on sale everywhere they are carried. Also the SC-77 for $1299 but the SC-79 is still $1700 everywhere.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top