AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm am in the process of framing the soffits in my basement. Along the right wall runs the main HVAC trunk line and the water lines under the joists. I've got the side towards the room of that framed. I've run two new HVAC outlets to the left side of the room (an outside foundation wall). The quandry now is where to place the new soffit on that side of the room?

After measuring, the widith of the soffit around the main trunk line is 43", which then narrows down to 36". My original intent was to make the new soffit match the other. However, the room is only 13 ft wide. This would leave only about 6 feet of full headroom in the theater area, which already has a relatively low ceiling.

I am at the point where I can make the new soffit almost any width I want, and even just eliminate it entirely and have the duct open from the ceiling rather than a soffit.

Any advice on what having a matching soffit, a differnet size soffit or no soffit on one side might have on room acoustics and or aesthetics?

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I had the same situation, Tom. I opted to move the main HVAC trunk line so that I could make a smaller soffit and then matched it on the other side.

It was a PITA and it sounds like it's too late for you to do that anyway. If I were in your case I'd match the soffit and live with a small full height area in the middle. Asymmetry bothers me. (YMMV)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Tom,

From what you are saying to do this you will need 43" on each side leaving just 46" in between. Is that correct? I'm assuming the 6' height is from floor to bottom of soffit.

Having soffits symmetrical will usually make it better aesthetically but not sure it would in this case.......are you planning on a star ceiling? This may make symmetrical work better by giving the illusion of a roof window.

Not sure in by not doing soffit each side whether you will end up with acoustical issues.

What a quandary.

Cheers,

Mark

PS.....if you need any temp light fittings you can the temp fittings I used.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
It was a PITA and it sounds like it's too late for you to do that anyway.

I decided NOT to move the HVAC because that would have required moving all the water lines also. The original plumbers ran the water lines outside of the main trunk. Talk about a PITA! Although, with the amount of space I have between the wall and the main trunk, I was able to use flex duct to run the two new vents off the inside of the trunk and then run it up and back over, giving me three 90 degree bends. So I hear NO noise form the furnace at all through those lines.

Quote:
From what you are saying to do this you will need 43" on each side leaving just 46" in between.

Correct.

Quote:
I'm assuming the 6' height is from floor to bottom of soffit.

No, I just can't add. I was thinking the distance between the soffits, which you are correct is closer to the 46". (I was thinking roughly 4 ft across + 4 ft across leaves about 6 ft across.)

I really thought it would look best matched, but I think it will really close in the room. I'm really leaning now towards no soffit on that side.

Thanks to you two and I'd appreciate additional comments!

Tom

·
Registered
290 Posts
Tom,

Glad you are making better progress than I am!

As I understand it the negatives to not making it symmetrical are mostly acoustic.

Not sure that anyone can quantify that. Probably too room specific (room modes and relfection points and stuff).

I think you can minimized negative acoustic results by proper treatment for reflection/absorbtion etc.

I wouldn't worry about the appearance of asymmetry. Once the lights are dim and the movie is playing, who is going to be looking around anyways?

I've already decided not to soffitt my opposite side.

Paul

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ArmyMan -
Quote:
Glad you are making better progress than I am!

SLOWLY coming along. I think I've got the rough plumbing and HVAC completed. A good bit of the framing is done (just this soffit issue and under and around my stairs to complete). After that I think it will move along faster as it will be easier to work nights as well as weekends.

Good luck!

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.